Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Erik
    Vehicle
    1997 Formula

Default 285 hp doesn't cut it anymore...

Hello!

I posted this thread on theformulasource.com as well, but sadly there isn't much action going on there nowadays..

Let me first start off by saying that I spent the beginning of my adult life as a living and breathing commercial for Durex condoms, I lived a life filled with drug abuse and rehabs and so on. I have been in love with f-bodys since I saw my first one back in -98, but it wasn't until december -14 that I could realize my dream and by my dream car. A Formula of course.

What I'm trying to say is that I have very limited experience of working on cars in general, and even though I've been free from drugs for 4,5 years now and work in a large mine (I'm a licensed welder/mechanic) I still don't know much about cars! Sure I know the basics, the engine needs fuel and so on, but not much more than that. Okay, maybe a little more, but I would definitely classify myself as a noob.

Yesterday I spoke with a childhood friend for one hour who shares the love of f-bodys with me, and I told him that I had a possible good deal on a supercharger that had previously been on an LT1 'Vette. I was really stoked but he wasn't, he said I should go for headers, cam and a converter. I didn't take long to convince, so now it's time to order some parts.. I would love to throw in some 1.6 RR's aswell. Because when I think about it, I would rather have a 350-400 whp N/A car. There is something really nasty about that..

Anyways, mostly of this would be done during our 7 month long winter here in Sweden, so it feels like I don't have to feel much pressure or stress and could learn a lot during the ride. Or am I totally wrong? I really wanna learn, and these cars sadly doesn't cost anything anymore.. I feel like my Formie would be the perfect trial and error car. It's already paid in full and hardly cost anything to own. Last year I drove it for about 160 miles or so before i put it back in the garage. I really like this car, but there is so much I would like to do with it to really be able to love it! I would gladly keep it for the rest of my life if I got to give my personal touch to it. Paint it black, make it handle like a newer car and so on. And of course, an engine to match!

So.. if you're still reading this wall of text I would politely like ask for a few recipies.. do you have any tips for me?

I know nothing about cams, but I would like it to be wild enough to need a remap but still be nice enough to cruise in (my buddy talked about mild cams that didn't need a remap, but since I'm going with a bunch of other stuff I think it would be neccesary. Like headers, RR's, CAI and so on).

I spend most of my time on f-fody forums, and the general concensus seem to be that 1.6 RR's are exacly what these engine needs, so which ones should I focus/read up on?

And headers.. what a jungle.. a part of me would like to have smoglegal Pacesetters but no seller on eBay seem to be able to send them to Sweden. So maybe I should go with the off road ones instead?

I know folks, I'm probably the biggest noob you've seen on this forum for years, but I need to start somewhere!

Hoping for lots of answers!
    Best regards.
    /Erik

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

Depends on your end goal

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jonathan Englund
    Vehicle
    1994 z28/1994 formula

You could probably get headers and any exhaust you want threw summit racing. As far as a cam goes I really like my custom grind cam from lloyd elliot, and the price is very reasonable. You can get rockers, cam, and valve springs (and lifters if you need to replace yours) through lloyd if you go that route. You will also need to get pushrods and pushrod measurement tools. 350rwhp can be done with only bolt ons and a cam. Getting a whole lot more then that will take ported heads (can also be gotten threw lloyd)... you will have to tune for a cam or you risk damage to the rings and eventually main/rod bearings.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    94' Z28 A4 black: turbo build in progress
    94' Formula A4 red: 355, 11.5:1cr, LE 231/239 cam, comp promags, lpp's, Yank stall, 3:42's, Solomon tune
    07' Impala A4: 180000 miles of stockness

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Erik
    Vehicle
    1997 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro96 View Post
    Depends on your end goal

I quote what I wrote in my wall of text; "Because when I think about it, I would rather have a 350-400 whp N/A car. There is something really nasty about that.." - so somewhere around 375 would make it a fun weekend warrior to me! Because that's what my car is all about, driving hard (well.. as hard as a stock LT1 allows you to drive) and putting away wet after the weekends.

Anyway, my first mod will be headers, but everybody has different opinions on different sites. Some people have only good things to say about so called eBay-headers, any thoughts on those? Are they smog legal? I guess I don't have to mention I'm talking about LT's.

If anyone knows about a good header company that ships to Sweden, please let me know!

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Erik
    Vehicle
    1997 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by englundjd View Post
    You could probably get headers and any exhaust you want threw summit racing. As far as a cam goes I really like my custom grind cam from lloyd elliot, and the price is very reasonable. You can get rockers, cam, and valve springs (and lifters if you need to replace yours) through lloyd if you go that route. You will also need to get pushrods and pushrod measurement tools. 350rwhp can be done with only bolt ons and a cam. Getting a whole lot more then that will take ported heads (can also be gotten threw lloyd)... you will have to tune for a cam or you risk damage to the rings and eventually main/rod bearings.

To bad it costs an arm and a leg to ship to Sweden.. oh well, I guess I just have to suck it up. Gonna check it out tomorrow again, I have been to their webpage numerous times but it's a jungle and I often give up hoping a pair of headers will fall down on my lap from the sky lol!

Thanks for the Lloyd Elliot tip, I've only heard good things about his stuff. So if I order a cam from him he can make it a package and also send matching RR's and springs and so on? That sounds exactly what I would need!

Thank you for the help brother!

The Nitrous Outlet Junkie

Status
    Name
    Troy
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

have you looked at nitrous?

or forced induction?
    94 Formula "budget build" #thebeaterbird
    10.177 @128.31 on a lil 250 shot
    350, LT1, carb, LE grind cam, th400, 4k stall, ford 8.8 w/ 4.10s

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

Has @englundjd stated would be a good way to go.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jonathan Englund
    Vehicle
    1994 z28/1994 formula

Quote Originally Posted by ErikFormula View Post
    To bad it costs an arm and a leg to ship to Sweden.. oh well, I guess I just have to suck it up. Gonna check it out tomorrow again, I have been to their webpage numerous times but it's a jungle and I often give up hoping a pair of headers will fall down on my lap from the sky lol!

Thanks for the Lloyd Elliot tip, I've only heard good things about his stuff. So if I order a cam from him he can make it a package and also send matching RR's and springs and so on? That sounds exactly what I would need!

Thank you for the help brother!
    Yes lloyd will send it as a package. I can get you some links to headers if I get home in time

94' Z28 A4 black: turbo build in progress
    94' Formula A4 red: 355, 11.5:1cr, LE 231/239 cam, comp promags, lpp's, Yank stall, 3:42's, Solomon tune
    07' Impala A4: 180000 miles of stockness

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Erik
    Vehicle
    1997 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by zooguy View Post
    have you looked at nitrous?

or forced induction?
    Well, at first I was going to look at a supercharger that had spent some time in an LT1 'Vette, but my buddy talked me out of it and the seller hasn't given me a price yet so.. I mean, sure it would be cool, but an all out N/A engine sounds like the better choice for me! I don't just want a fast car, I want to learn a lot in the process as well!

I haven't even given nitrous a single thought, but I guess it's like owning a weapon; better to have and not need, than to need and not have. It's not on my list at the moment, but when I can see the finish line on my project (if my project ever starts) there might be a bottle between the back seats.

Thanks for posting in this thread btw!

Quote Originally Posted by englundjd View Post
    Yes lloyd will send it as a package. I can get you some links to headers if I get home in time

That would be much appreciated brother, as I said before - it's a jungle out there and sometimes I feel like I do nothing but mailing different companies without getting anything useful back.
    Get me a few links to headers (preferably with EGR and AIR) so I can order them as soon as possible, I really want to start this project asap!

The Nitrous Outlet Junkie

Status
    Name
    Troy
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

well i would not advise doing it like i did .... but i know a stock lt1 firebird with 168,000 miles open longtube headers will go 11.9 in the 1/4 mile at 113mph on a 150hp shot and on a 200 shot on the dyno it made 422hp and 583tq to the tires ...
    94 Formula "budget build" #thebeaterbird
    10.177 @128.31 on a lil 250 shot
    350, LT1, carb, LE grind cam, th400, 4k stall, ford 8.8 w/ 4.10s

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast