Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 Z28

Default Motor mount bolt removal

Is there a trick to removing the through bolt on the driver's side motor mount? I remember dealing with this when I installed the engine but I don't know how I resolved it. The front bolt head that bolts the upper motor mount to the block is in the way of the head of the through bolt that connects the upper and lower motor mounts. This is only a problem for the driver's side. I can't be the only one who has had this problem, am I?

I can think of one way to do it but it involves jacking up the engine while loosening the upper motor mount bolt. Seems like there should be a better way. The through motor mount bolt head has a rather wide rim around the head that is causing the problem. If it was just a washer it would be better but it's not.

Thanks for your sage advice to a frustrated LTX'er.

Greg
    '94 Teal Z28 that was my daughter's first car, then I acquired it after it overheated and blew a head gasket - replaced the engine and hope to take 'er to the track soon! I'm just an old guy who loves Camaros and tinkering with them.

The FABRICATOR!

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1985 Monte Carlo SS

I vaguely remember doing this myself once. Can you remove the bolt that mounts the upper mount to the block that is in the way of the bolt head? All I remember for sure is installing the through bolt the opposite way when I reassembled
    Chris
    1985 Monte Carlo SS
    Mods: 9:1 383 LT1, Ported Trick Flow heads, D1SC Procharger, 4L80E, 3.50 9"
    Check out the M122 MCSS build thread here!

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by firebird_1995 View Post
    I vaguely remember doing this myself once. Can you remove the bolt that mounts the upper mount to the block that is in the way of the bolt head? All I remember for sure is installing the through bolt the opposite way when I reassembled
    Yes, I believe I installed both through bolts backwards - I'm paying for that now. There is definitely a right and a wrong way to put them in. I'll be reinstalling them in the correct orientation. I've been jacking the engine up by placing a wide board underneath the front end of the transmission pan but I don't like the pressure that must be applying to the drivetrain. It's actually causing seepage of tranny fluid from the gasket. I just now released the pressure and will start again in the morning with my engine hoist and lift from the top instead.

Live and learn.

Thanks!
    Greg
    '94 Teal Z28 that was my daughter's first car, then I acquired it after it overheated and blew a head gasket - replaced the engine and hope to take 'er to the track soon! I'm just an old guy who loves Camaros and tinkering with them.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Danny
    Vehicle
    1996 Z

Yikes....I cant recall having any issue? I also had the tranny out prior to removing the engine and the bolts came right out.
    96 Z28 A4, OBD1 Converted, LT4 Hot Cam, 3000 Stall, CAI , LT's, X-pipe, S60 with 4.10's, Bolt on's, NA
    11.82 @ 114.33., 1.58 60ft
    Self-Tuned w/ TunerCats

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

I put the bolt in backwards so the nut is on the side with less clearance. The other way would be a pain in the ass.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension