Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Default Cooling Fans Constantly On

Hi guy's and gals question I have a 1997 Camaro SS and I was at a friends house and when I started the car to go to the local supermarket the SES light went on and the cooling fans constantly were on the temp never went up, when I got home I scanned it with Scan94/95 (I had an LT4 conversion done and went with a 95 ECM) the program has a tab for DTC codes and nothing showed up for a trouble code, now the program has a feature to clear the codes which I tried and the light went out and the fans turned off for a split second, scratching my dome I was puzzled. I checked all fuses associated with the fans and also checked the relays seeing if they were fused to the block. Now, the program also has a electrical fault tab so I clicked it and the #1 fan had low relay and the #2 fan had a high relay. What bothers me is that for an SES light wouldn't a sensor have failed, not very educated on electrical, any help on would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Scott 97 SS #0676
    349 RWHP 352 RWTQ

My SS

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Typically if the fans run full time, a DTC has been set. I'm wondering if your program you used managed to shut off the light without actually hard resetting the DTC. Try and disconnect the battery for a minute or so and see if it repeats. If it sets a DTC again, try a different scanner. Something should have been showing if the SES light was actually on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Let's see if the Scan9495 author can clarify.
    @GaryDoug ? Pulling codes. Had a similar issue on the other site.

The most common code that turns on the fans full-time is DTC 29 for the AIR pump. Check the fuse for the pump, even if your pump has been deleted. The diagnostic monitors the relay circuit.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Gary
    Vehicle
    1998 Trans Am

I think it should have shown a code. Make sure you have unzipped the file you downloaded, and the extra (malf.csv) file is in the same folder as the Scan9495.exe file. Did you see any error message when you started the program? That file tells the program where to find the DTC's and what to show for DTC descriptions. The program can run without it, but won't show DTC's.

The program clears the DTC's in the usual way, nothing different about it.

1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock and almost all original - one owner - driven daily.
    Author of Scan9495, free pc apps 93-95 LT1,94/95 L32: http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...light=scan9495

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryDoug For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    eric
    Vehicle
    1993 TA

go get a coolant sensor, the one in the pump, and just plug it in to the harness. Cycle the key and see if they still run. dont know why youre not getting a dtc though