Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status
    Name
    N/A
    Vehicle
    C4 Corvette

Default Question about LT4 Hot Cam Kit

I was hoping to get some clarification as I am not getting much help on the vette forums. I don't want to spend thousands on a car that only cost me $2000. As much as LE heads/cam sound nice, if I want big power i'll wait until my C5. I want to breathe a little life into the car, that's all.

My goal at this point in time is something along the lines of the LT4 hot cam kit. I have a 94 C4 auto. This car is a spare "fun" car to not eat up miles on my new vehicle going to work.

This kit:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...80002/10002/-1

1. Are all the parts in here good solid pieces? Reading the various forums you get guys fighting you need to lifters, those springs in the kit suck etc etc it's hard to get a straight answer. I already have my motor out to do some tlc(blown head gasket)

Should I get new springs/lifters/pushrods? If so, would you be able to tell me what would be compatible?

I will also be doing tune, long tube headers + true dual with x-pipe exhaust, deleting the EGR since the air system won't be following with the headers.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by pushrodv8 View Post
    I was hoping to get some clarification as I am not getting much help on the vette forums. I don't want to spend thousands on a car that only cost me $2000. As much as LE heads/cam sound nice, if I want big power i'll wait until my C5. I want to breathe a little life into the car, that's all.

My goal at this point in time is something along the lines of the LT4 hot cam kit. I have a 94 C4 auto. This car is a spare "fun" car to not eat up miles on my new vehicle going to work.

This kit:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Perf...80002/10002/-1

1. Are all the parts in here good solid pieces? Reading the various forums you get guys fighting you need to lifters, those springs in the kit suck etc etc it's hard to get a straight answer. I already have my motor out to do some tlc(blown head gasket)

Should I get new springs/lifters/pushrods? If so, would you be able to tell me what would be compatible?

I will also be doing tune, long tube headers + true dual with x-pipe exhaust, deleting the EGR since the air system won't be following with the headers.
    I would not get the full kit, as the valvesprings are garbage. Just get the cam, find some used rockers or get scorpion sa/crane dual spring kit and enjoy. Hot cam in my bolt on stock longblock firebird was very very fun on street

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

I'm sure you will get many different opinions, I am running that exact kit in my LT1. I used the springs the rockers that came in the kit and havent had any problems. I also reused the original lifters and pushrods, again without any problems. I am running a 6 speed and I take it to about 6200 to shift on a hard run.

I have bought a better set of springs, just havent got around to installing them. I do believe the springs are the weak link in this kit, but again I've been running them without a problem for a couple of years and they were used when I put them in.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jonathan Englund
    Vehicle
    1994 z28/1994 formula

As said above the springs are the weak link in the kit. The rest of the kit is fine...

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    94' Z28 A4 black: turbo build in progress
    94' Formula A4 red: 355, 11.5:1cr, LE 231/239 cam, comp promags, lpp's, Yank stall, 3:42's, Solomon tune
    07' Impala A4: 180000 miles of stockness

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

LE will sell you just the cam of your choice, and recommend the required valve train.

http://elliottsportworks.com/?page_id=32
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status

My vote would also be to contact LE for a cam and springs.

The Hot Cam kit springs were designed for the lighter, hollow, sodium filled springs of the LT4 heads. The LT1 valves are solid and heaver which is why those springs are marginal at best new on LT1 heads

If you find a deal on just the hot cam you could get the Crane 10308-1 spring kit which is plug & play for LT1 aluminum heads. Put in new valve stem seals when you do the springs. FelPro or good, the Viton ones

Your stock PR would work...just at high RPM's they will show more flex than thicker wall ones. These Comp PR would be good

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-7608-16

1:6 RR. Comp Ultra Pro Mags. The Hot Cam kit uses GMPP made by Crane so Crane Gold aluminum SA's would work well. They are the only RR that will clear stock VC without any drip baffle trimming...although that is no big deal to do if going with the Comp Ultra's.

You will need a new PCM tune for any aftermarket cam you put in
    96 BBB 383/T56

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    N/A
    Vehicle
    C4 Corvette

Appreciate it guys,

I finished pulling the heads today, this engine is wore out and needs a full rebuild. Mixed green coolant and dexcool sludge in the waterjackets. Gasket was broken at cylinder 1. I think the sludged coolant passages didn't help the high temps.

I might just say fuck it and do a 383. I love the C4 styling, I am just trying to justify cost with modifying an LT1 vs lsx.
    Last edited by pushrodv8; 03-20-2017 at 04:46 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pushrodv8 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by BALLSS View Post
    My vote would also be to contact LE for a cam and springs.

The Hot Cam kit springs were designed for the lighter, hollow, sodium filled springs of the LT4 heads. The LT1 valves are solid and heaver which is why those springs are marginal at best new on LT1 heads

If you find a deal on just the hot cam you could get the Crane 10308-1 spring kit which is plug & play for LT1 aluminum heads. Put in new valve stem seals when you do the springs. FelPro or good, the Viton ones

Your stock PR would work...just at high RPM's they will show more flex than thicker wall ones. These Comp PR would be good

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-7608-16

1:6 RR. Comp Ultra Pro Mags. The Hot Cam kit uses GMPP made by Crane so Crane Gold aluminum SA's would work well. They are the only RR that will clear stock VC without any drip baffle trimming...although that is no big deal to do if going with the Comp Ultra's.

You will need a new PCM tune for any aftermarket cam you put in
    Scorpion narrow body sa rockers clear without any trimming or bending fyi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Alex Rauld
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am GT

Quote Originally Posted by pushrodv8 View Post
    Appreciate it guys,

I finished pulling the heads today, this engine is wore out and needs a full rebuild. Mixed green coolant and dexcool sludge in the waterjackets. Gasket was broken at cylinder 1. I think the sludged coolant passages didn't help the high temps.

I might just say fuck it and do a 383. I love the C4 styling, I am just trying to justify cost with modifying an LT1 vs lsx.
    383 would be nice, no one ever wishes they had less cubes. It will make whatever cam choice you end up with that much more driveable, and require much less radical supporting mods to a smaller cube motor (valvetrain, bottom end, converter, gear, etc.) But there's also nothing wrong with just sticking a stock short block in to get it back on the road quicker with less cost.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to myltwon For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Im sure a 24x would be much cheaper than a lsx swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast