Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Thread: LT1 in a 240sx?

InActive Member

Status

Default LT1 in a 240sx?

Hey guys, so heres where im at with my LT1... I got an LS motor going in my T/A in less than a month. The setup is more than i need for the street or track but the problem is (and i have the same problem now) when i get out on the track i baby the car too much in fear of wrecking it. Dont get me wrong, ill still track the car but my thoughts are i have a motor setting here now and nothing to put it in...

I know a guy that dose N.A.S.A. racing and entry level drifting and hes telling me i should go buy a cheap 240sx body and throw the motor in that, He says he knows the swaps been done but not what alls involved. I figure if i can find one and do it i can beat it up ruthlessly on the track and not worry about it.

My LT1 deffinatly needs a rebuild so id probably beef up the bottom end and do heads and cam on it while i was at it. Im figuring a 400-450hp would be plenty of motivation for such a light little car. Id just gut it out and fab a rollcage since it would be strictly a racecar.

Luckly my pop's is a master fabricator so that parts no prob but its the actual swap i need details on. If anyone on here can point me in the right direction or has a better car suggestion for the swap/criteria let me know.

Thanks in advance guys
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am- 1 of 34 build Medium Quasar Blue

VIP Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1991 C1500
    Blog Entries

I've seen them put in an Rx7 and 240's before. I'm pretty sure they make a kit for both cars, you'll just have to look around.

1991 Silverado 1500 - Beater/Project
    1996 Camaro Z28 - Parted Out
    1994 Camaro Z28 - Parted Out
    1981 Corvette - Driveway ornament

InActive Member

Status

I know of someone who had one of those LT1 240's. He kept the fart cannon on it so when it was off people thought it was a 4 banger. But when it started up people would flock to it. Dam thing was faster than hell too. couldnt keep the back tires on it.
    1996 Pontiac Firebird M6- Pro 5.0 ,Welfare CAI, Magnaflow Catback, Longtubes, 160 thermostat, BMR torque arm, lower control arms and LCA relocation brackets, TB bypass, e-cutout, on my second motor, third clutch, third fuel pump and loving every minute of it!
    1995 Jeep Cherokee SE (The DD)- Custom Pennsylvania weight reduction and New Tires.

InActive Member

Status

thats what im hoping to achieve lol
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am- 1 of 34 build Medium Quasar Blue

Buddy of mine just got a 78 280z and I will admit that it looks pretty cool. I'd like to maybe find one to swap a LT1 and 4L60E in!

Quote Originally Posted by dts300z View Post
    Quick search got me this http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_350+Chevy+240sx

Trust me it will be worth it!
    I plan to use the McKinney kit on my swap. No, it's not exactly the cheapest thing in the world. ESPECIALLY with the custom front sump oilpan. But unless you can fabricate your own mounts and oilpan (and extended oil pickup), this is probably the best way to go. Unless, of course, someone else knows of a cheaper kit of decent quality.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Stan Wells
    Vehicle
    1997 WS6 Trans Am

Here's a great site for Datsun/V8 conversions:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php

How do I know? Here's what's under the cover next to my 97WS6 TA

1997+ws6+ta+003+sm&.jpg

A 76 Datsun 280Z, I plan to V8 it someday

Z_front..jpg