Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jon schriver
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro z28

Default Adjusting parking brake

Well my parking brakes need adjusted so i went to adjust the set screw on the calipers but realized someone ( previous owner ) has rounded off the allen screws. Has anyone encountered this or does anyone have any oppinions on what to do? Are there any other ways of adjustments?

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    jon
    Vehicle
    95 trans am

Maybe you have something different or noticed something i haven't, but im not aware of an adjustment on the calipers...i believe the only adjustment is above the driveshaft where the two cables come together. Probably like a 13 nut....but i cant remember for sure if these even have an adjustment. Usually the problem with the e-brake on these cars that i have encounter. Is the actualy caliper. Where the lever hits the pin to push the caliper, it gets floppy and slips past it.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Dan Dalessandro
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro Z28

There is no adjustment on the caliper like @zoomo said. The way to do it as crazy as it sounds is to go in reverse around 20-30 and slam the brakes hard. That's how you adjust the free travel at least.
    Hope it helps.

14.307@98.21, 2.155 60'

97 Z28, M6 with stuff done to it. SHOOTING FOR 12s IN A BOLT ON LT1 BOYS

Lurker

Status

Wrong, there IS an adjustment on the calipers. OP, you're kind of screwed. If they're rounded off, try wedging a larger torx or allen in there and backing them out so you can replace them.

May I ask though, why you feel an adjustment is needed? LT1 parking brakes aren't too temperamental like the LS1 stuff.
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jon schriver
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro z28

Well i Just put a 9" rear in the car and on the initial test drive the brakes are squealing a little like they need adjusted. Thats about the only thing i can think it would be. Any oppinions? @Spartan7 is that the only adjustment or is there another way of adjustment?

Lurker

Status

So, they're squealing while driving around, without touching the brake pedal?

AFAIK, that's really the only way to adjust the parking brake rest position. Did you grease the guide pins? I would suspect sticking pins causing the caliper to drag before the parking brake. To isolate your problem, try popping the parking brake cables off the calipers and take it for a drive, see if it still squeals. If it doesn't, the parking brake is indeed the problem. If it does, then that's not it.
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Jon schriver
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro z28

Ok thanks alot man! Ill take the cables off and see how it goes then report back.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

New calipers are easier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!