Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have had three different people tell me they have received these codes using an innova scan tool (what I used) and it turned out there was only 1 or 2 actual codes. My screen is busted, it could be 1.69 amps, or 1690 mA.

i have a new alt on order, but will have it tested before I buy it.
    1994 Trans Am GT, stock 28k mi bottom end LE2 H/C/I , 1.6rr, LT4 KM, moroso cai, jet hot lts, hooker y-pipe, slp powerflo, 37# inj, 255 pump, built 4l60e, 2800 stall, spohn/hotchkis/qa1 suspension etc etc.

Had the alternator tested, it is shot. I ordered a rebuilt one with a lifetime warranty as I will never sell this car. It will be here tomorrow. I don't know if this will solve all my issues, but at least it will solve some.
    1994 Trans Am GT, stock 28k mi bottom end LE2 H/C/I , 1.6rr, LT4 KM, moroso cai, jet hot lts, hooker y-pipe, slp powerflo, 37# inj, 255 pump, built 4l60e, 2800 stall, spohn/hotchkis/qa1 suspension etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post
    16.9mA/.0169A would not be considered a "draw" anything under 500mA is good/normal/common it would take about 90 days to use up the reserve capacity of a typical group 75 battery.
    The current flow is for the excitation of the alternator and would not be present on a 1 wire/self exciting alternator.

The most likely cause for your problem is a poor ground somewhere in the PCM circuit. Check all of your grounds and clean your PCM connectors with contact cleaner.

The warm start condition would be ignition related not fuel. When an engine is warm the AFR is leaner and a lean mixture is more resistant to current flow so it works
    the ignition system harder. What part of the ignition is the culprit is hard to say and the only way to know for sure is to connect an ignition analyzer/scope and look at
    the waveform. The problem with that is there are few people that know how to read them and fewer shops that have them. My prime suspect would be the ICM though
    provided the secondary side of the ignition system (plugs/wires) is in good working order. A weak coil will generally cause problems in the upper RPM from lack of
    dwell time but not start up.
    Well, the alternator did not solve anything (that I am aware of). I still have codes present (and no scanner to scan them)
    It still is reading 170 mA draw, I got another scanner and checked it.

How ow is it possible to drain a battery over night with only a 170 amp draw? is there something that is staying on after the car is shut off, but then no longer stays on when I disconnect the battery to test the draw?

I will check/clean grounds again, and try to get a different scanner. I guess when I get more money I will get one of computers set up to scan.

any other ideas would be appreciated.

Well, found the draw for the battery. I went out to my car to check to see if there was a voltage drop, and before I turned my light on, I noticed the light on the center consol was on. I had checked it before and it was off. I really need to push down on it to turn it off.

it makes me wonder if my alternator was actually bad, or if the kid at the auto parts store just wanted me to buy anew alt. well, that's one issue resolved.
    Last edited by 94ndta; 03-18-2015 at 06:56 AM.

Down to one code, looks like the batch of codes was either bogus, or the new alt. solved a whole slew of codes.

only code left is DTC 43, knock sensor circuit. Pulling 7 degrees of timing. I also got some screen shots of the scan, because I could.

so I know this could be a couple things, the knock sensor itself, the wiring, but I am pretty sure my header is hitting the transmission (I think) brave, I can feel it and hear it vibrating when driving at most rpms. Now, I know I need to fix this, but would this cause the 43 code as well.

@Revolutions, you may be onto something with the ICM as well. Code 43 could be ICM as well. Will test soon.

Even if no one is offering resolutions, I feel it is good the get things on paper to look back at what I've done, or if it can help someone in a search. Not saying no body is helping, just saying sometimes it's good to ramble. Lol

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Sean Cross
    Vehicle
    1995 Camaro Z28

The 7° of retard being shown for knock is a fail safe as in it is the maximum retard value based on current RPM and MAP.
    A faulty/failing ICM will not set code 43
    Have you gone through the diagnostic chart for the knock sensor.
    KS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post
    The 7° of retard being shown for knock is a fail safe as in it is the maximum retard value based on current RPM and MAP.
    A faulty/failing ICM will not set code 43
    Have you gone through the diagnostic chart for the knock sensor.
    KS.jpg
    Oh, will check it, I haven't yet. I have a bulging disc that is killing me right now.

the MODIS I used, and when I looked up the code said Possible "ECM module" as well.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Sean Cross
    Vehicle
    1995 Camaro Z28

Yes possible problems are ECM, Knock sensor, Knock sensor module or knock sensor wiring/connector.
    Above you said ICM which is not an option.

I did, yeah lack of sleep does funny things.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast