Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status
    Name
    christopher
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

@Sahara54 @Spartan7 @popo8 @1QUICKZ28 @BALLSS alright guys so I got ahold of the machine shop and he said the flywheel was nuetral balanced. So I guess the car the tranny came from was built? The car should be back together today or tomorrow. He said he matched the balance to the flexplate. He got it balanced to 1 gram I believe he said, which I guess is good since I don't know jack diddly about balance lol and to answere your question ballss my motor is stok and the one the tranny came out of is up in the air. But at this point it was internally balanced. And looking over my tranny it has a centerforce clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. So it has ALOT of money put in it. And it shifts so smooth even with the shaking. So hopefully this fixes everything. the guy and the machine shop said it should run smooth as butter. Thanks again guys for all the help! At least this thread will be here for someone else who has the problem when doing a 4l60E to T56 swap!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Well keep us posted...

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    christopher
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

@popo8 will do!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageZ28 For This Post:

Lurker

Status

OP

if the FW was neutral and your machine shop balanced matched it now with a "stock" flexplate (one with a weight on it) that would work...although he will need to ad a fair amount of weight. The stock FW is cast iron with the weight cast into it. If the FW was a stock one a machine shop did grind that portion off along with drilling in other places to get it to zero that would have been for a "internal" balanced motor the donor FW & tranny came from.

As mentioned you could have just purchased a reman "stock" FW typically for $100 with your old core or buy a aftermarket billet one that has a weight. Typically aftermarket ones have the weight screwed on so you can either use it for a internal or external balanced motor buy simply taking the weight off for internal balanced motor applications

good you got it sorted though

The CF Pressure Plate IIRC does have a "paint dab" mark on it also that would line up with a paint dab on the FW. Given it sounds like your FW may no longer have this matching paint dab (no aftermarket or replacement FW's do) you should be OK bolting on the PP any orientation you want but if by chance it was a stock FW that was neutral balanced and not external balanced by your machinist, use that paint dab (likely on flywheel teeth) to match to the PP.

FWIW I have done several clutch swaps on both internal & external balanced motors and have never had any problem on balance bolting the PP on any orientation. I will note though on internal balanced applications it is advised to have the PP neutral balanced in addition to FW
    96 BBB 383/T56

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Quote Originally Posted by BALLSS View Post
    OP

if the FW was neutral and your machine shop balanced matched it now with a "stock" flexplate (one with a weight on it) that would work...although he will need to ad a fair amount of weight. The stock FW is cast iron with the weight cast into it. If the FW was a stock one a machine shop did grind that portion off along with drilling in other places to get it to zero that would have been for a "internal" balanced motor the donor FW & tranny came from.

As mentioned you could have just purchased a reman "stock" FW typically for $100 with your old core or buy a aftermarket billet one that has a weight. Typically aftermarket ones have the weight screwed on so you can either use it for a internal or external balanced motor buy simply taking the weight off for internal balanced motor applications

good you got it sorted though

The CF Pressure Plate IIRC does have a "paint dab" mark on it also that would line up with a paint dab on the FW. Given it sounds like your FW may no longer have this matching paint dab (no aftermarket or replacement FW's do) you should be OK bolting on the PP any orientation you want but if by chance it was a stock FW that was neutral balanced and not external balanced by your machinist, use that paint dab (likely on flywheel teeth) to match to the PP.

FWIW I have done several clutch swaps on both internal & external balanced motors and have never had any problem on balance bolting the PP on any orientation. I will note though on internal balanced applications it is advised to have the PP neutral balanced in addition to FW
    Good point made here. Flex plate would probably have a lighter weight on it due to it weighing considerably less than a flywheel. I would reference a weight on a stock flywheel to be safe. Sorry that never crossed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    christopher
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

@BALLSS @1QUICKZ28 since Noone else has had problems with the swap since both the flexplate and flywheel have the same balance. But since my flywheel was aftermarket and the flywheel was nuetral and when he spun it he said it was off compared to the flexplate. So like I said he got it to one gram of what it should be. I'm hoping that'll be correct

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Well he knew what ur problem was when u gave him everything, so fingers crossed he knows his shit and knew how to correct ur issuee. Its all part of the car building "sport" but pulling amd replacing stuff repeatedly gets old.

Hang in tthere... ur on the right path.

Fingers crossed for u man!

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    christopher
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

@popo8 thanks man. He asked if it was shaking and I told him about it and he said it should run smooth as butter so I hope so. It's the best machine shop in the valley. So I'm hoping it'll be perfect

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SavageZ28 View Post
    @popo8 thanks man. He asked if it was shaking and I told him about it and he said it should run smooth as butter so I hope so. It's the best machine shop in the valley. So I'm hoping it'll be perfect
    Believe me when i tell u the last 13 years with the camaro have been full of many challenges... many "pull it back out" moments, so i know the frustrations.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    christopher
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro Z28

O I bet. I've do that enough so far. This is just expensive @popo8

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast