Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Thread: Lifters

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Default Lifters

Well crap. Went over to reset lash on a buddies LTx setup today as valvetrain problems have crept up. Set lash across the board, had him starter rotate the motor, sounded good and was getting compression. Went by hand over everything and found that #4 being on the base circle, BOTH intake and exhaust had become very VERY loose again. Think it's the lifters collapsing as this is the second time correcting everything. Damn shame too because they're a $700+ dollar set of Lunati Tie Bar lifters. Any FI LTx peeps have a rec for a good set of lifters that won't break the bank? I'd recommend Morel's if they're still in the $500 range but that may not be in the cards? Anyone putting the works to some simple LS7 lifters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Default Lifters

Not sure what you call putting the works to on LS7 lifters. I'm running a set but my lift is only 544/555 with a set of Comp 916 beehive springs. I shift around 6200 RPM's.

Any chance you can buy just "one link set" of his current lifters?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

How old are the lunatis and what is the open spring pressure on Mr. Call911s car?
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

With no hydraulic pressure a lifter can collapse if you are rotating it by hand. Are you saying it collapses after it's running?
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Spring pressures are an unknown. Lifters went into the motor back in 2005ish and have seen probably 20K plus miles of pretty aggressive abuse.
    @joelster I would set the lash then we would crank the motor around for 20-30 seconds via the starter (it builds good pressure) and then I'd go back and check and random ones would be VERY loose. I literally was having him bump it over as the exhaust on #2 wasn't jiving either and it literally went loose one time around, tightened up, then loosened up again.
    @1QUICKZ28 -- I think it's better to replace all as it seems to be randomly chucking pushrods and loosening up. He spins this motor out to 7K regularly, I just wanted to see if the LS7's would be up to the task. I'd personally stick with a tie bar but it may not be in the budget as of now.

I just think the lifters have had it. He pulled them earlier today after I left and said that almost all of them have the plunger not seated all the way up as they should be, which explains why I was seeing so much of a difference in set screw height on the rockers as I was setting it.

I would set the lash on my 350 with the big cam and by the time I got to the last set on that side, some of the ones that I had already set would be rattling if I wiggled them. As soon as I would fire it up with 50+ lbs of oil pressure they would be silent.
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

These were more than rattling. It was flat out sloppy. I wish I'd have had my feeler gauges with me because I'd love to know how much they opened up. It was obtuse how much they opened up.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I'd stay away from ls7's. I went with some crower drop in non link for both the impala Larry bought and osies Procharged 383 car. Karl ellwein recommended them. They are all bleed tested by crowed before shipping. Set lash and haven't had an issue since

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    Well crap. Went over to reset lash on a buddies LTx setup today as valvetrain problems have crept up. Set lash across the board, had him starter rotate the motor, sounded good and was getting compression. Went by hand over everything and found that #4 being on the base circle, BOTH intake and exhaust had become very VERY loose again. Think it's the lifters collapsing as this is the second time correcting everything. Damn shame too because they're a $700+ dollar set of Lunati Tie Bar lifters. Any FI LTx peeps have a rec for a good set of lifters that won't break the bank? I'd recommend Morel's if they're still in the $500 range but that may not be in the cards? Anyone putting the works to some simple LS7 lifters?
    Ive had the Ls7s in mine simce I did the LE top end. No issues.

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Crower link bars in mine, ~400lb open

You could yank the lunatis out and send em in for a rebuild, that would prob be the most cost effective method pending none of them are shot.

Otherwise, spend and cry once.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shownomercy For This Post: