Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lurker

Status

Default Need to mess with tune to help pass CA emissions.

I am tired of trying to find someone to pass my car out here in Cali. It is close to impossible where I live now. I took all the smog equipment off my car when I did long tubes. I plan on just putting two cats right off the collectors. They should be pretty close to the factory location as my car was a dual cat car being a 95 California car. I am not going to change headers and put on all the AIR and EGR stuff as I dont have most of it anymore. I can get away with the visual for sure but it needs to blow clean.
    So, if any of the tuning gurus can help me out on how to make it run cleaner by messing with the tune a little I would really appreciate it.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

MoeHorsepower may be able to help you.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Camaro96 For This Post:

Lurker

Status

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NoMoneyZ For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

My apologies for my phones auto correct that I did not catch.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

What other mods do you have besides the headers and emissions delete?

Hard to see with long tubes how the driver side cat would be anywhere close to the factory location. It was bolted directly to the bottom of the stock cast iron manifold. Doesn't CA require a CARB-EO tag, welded to one of the header primaries?
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status

Just intake, headers, exhaust, gears, and 3200 converter. Your right on that driver cat, but like I said the visual isn't going to hurt me. It just has to blow clean.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

Have you had it checked to see were your at and how far you are from. Blowing clean?

Lurker

Status

First off, make sure you get CA cats, like these, http://www.ebay.com/itm/311083884741...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Make sure you are running a 180 or hotter thermostat if you can. Fresh oil change with cheap 20w-50 oil. Car up to full opperating temp.

I am in CA also but cannot get away with the visual in my county. I have pacesetter smog mid tube headers, the cat in the link, and have no trouble passing the sniffer. Dyno tuned with LE cam, LE2 heads, ported intake, 34 lb injectors and a holley 58MM NOS throttle body.
    93 LT1 M6, LE, 223/230 .565/.565 112, Stg2 heads, Ported intake, 32lb injectors. Pacesetter mids. 1.6RR Tunned by Chuck Summer's. 382/351
    2000 F350 7.3 diesel, BTS auto CC Dually 4X4. Way to many parts. 689rwhp/1450ftlb's

Lurker

Status

I have not had it checked yet. I could get a moving permit for day and have it or tested to see where it's at, I should do that actually to see how far it's going to be.
    Those are the exact cats I'm going to get. Going to do one on each collector. Factory thermostat is installed. I'm pretty sure with brands new cats that are nice and hot it should be fairly easy to pass unless the egr and air do a lot to lower the emissions.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

AIR is only used at startup for 3-4 minutes to help the cats heat up faster. Should not affect closed loop operation emissions. EGR may be a problem. It is used to control oxides of nitrogen (NOx). NOx content increases if it's running lean or very hot. Not all states test pre-OBD-2 cars for NOx, but I suspect CA does.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast