Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

Default Igniter n opit????

Has anybody replaced the ICM thats inside the opti?Im thinking about doing this to mu opti.But would like to know how good they work.
    BEAVER

94 Z28,4A,LLOYD SG CAM,1.6RR,SHIFT KIT,2,800 STALL,HEADERS,HEADS PORTED & POLISHED,ALL INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS LUNATI !!!

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

There is no ICM in the Opti. The only thing inside, other than the rotor, is an optical cam position sensor module, and shutter wheel. The original GM unit was made by Mitsubishi. Current replacements are probably all Chinese. If the module is bad, it will set codes DTC 16 and DTC 36. It is possible for the high resolution section to produce erratic RPM signals, leading to idle surges and roughness, but that is best diagnosed with a PCM scan data log.

The "name" of the part on the AIP Electronics site is incorrect. It is not an "igniter".
    Last edited by Injuneer; 07-30-2017 at 03:37 PM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    There is no ICM in the Opti. The only thing inside, other than the rotor, is an optical cam position sensor module, and shutter wheel. The original GM unit was made by Mitsubishi. Current replacements are probably all Chinese. If the module is bad, it will set codes DTC 16 and DTC 36. It is possible for the high resolution section to produce erratic RPM signals, leading to idle surges and roughness, but that is best diagnosed with a PCM scan data log.

The "name" of the part on the AIP Electronics site is incorrect. It is not an "igniter".
    Thanks for the help.I was just posting what it said on the site.it said it was a ICM then it had igniter beside it.I was just going by that.Again thanks for the help.Have u did this swap before?
    BEAVER

94 Z28,4A,LLOYD SG CAM,1.6RR,SHIFT KIT,2,800 STALL,HEADERS,HEADS PORTED & POLISHED,ALL INTERNAL ENGINE PARTS LUNATI !!!

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

No. The AIP Electronics optical cam position module has only been available for the past yer or so. Before that, if the module failed, you needed a new back 1/2 of the Opti.

What problem are you trying to fix by replacing the module?
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

Thanks injuneer.I have a few code numbers for u.I think they all go back to the opti.Code 43,18,33 and 22 witch is the TPS.Anyway what do u think?
    BEAVER

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

None of those codes have anything to do with the Opti.

18 - faulty fuel injector or circuit

22 - TPS sensor low voltage (less than 0.20 volts)

33 - MAP sensor high voltage/low vacuum

43 - faulty knock sensor or circuit

All relatively easy to troubleshoot with a multi-meter.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

I know thats what the codes are.but as I was researching into all the codes.It kept going back to opti.It would say faulty injector circuit also could be opti making it throw this code.All was saying that kind of thing.One was mulitple codes could be opti spark.thats why I was still thinking opti.Also I put a new MAP sensor and TPS on it a few months back.I replaced both oxygen sensors during the rebuild.I wouldnt think all would be bad after buying them so soon.What do u think I should do next?Im asking because I would really like to know.I dont what to do next!!
    Last edited by beaver50; 08-04-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    BEAVER

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Where did you read that "It would say faulty injector circuit also could be opti making it throw this code"?

I have been doing this for 20 years, addressed these codes probably 100 times each.... but to make sure I wasn't totally senile in my old age, I just checked in the 1994 FACTORY service manual. The diagnostic logic charts for these codes do NOT refer to the Opti being the cause. They all do go back to the PCM, however. Faulty injector driver in the PCM will set DTC 18. DTC 22, 33, and 43 ALL revert back to the PCM, if the sensor is not faulty, and the wiring circuit is not faulty. They all rely on a 5 volt reference from the PCM.

But maybe someone else can give you the answer you are looking for.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

@beaver50 it's either a wiring harness issue or pcm issue. Fred is correct

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Master

Status
    Name
    Beaver
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro Z28

I give u the wrong codes.Code 43,36,34,18 n 22.Im sorry,I was going by memory.I went n got my paper with the codes on it.
    BEAVER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast