Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro z28

Default MSD Ignition Coil Plug Wire Replacement

I bought a 1994 Z28 a few weeks ago that has just recently started losing power (doesn't spin tires anymore from a dig and sounds like it's hesitating in upper rpms). Well I came home the other night and got out while it was still idling and I heard a popping sound from under the hood so I popped it and found that the ignition coil wire is arcing where the boot touches the MSD coil.

I was told it's most likely the coil wire causing the problem and that I should replace that before trying to replace the MSD coil. Well I also have a 1996 Z28 with an OEM ignition coil and to trouble shoot, I wanted to just swap its coil wire to the '94, but apparently they're different and don't interchange? Is there a specific coil wire I need for the MSD or is the style just different because of the 1994 vs 1996 models?

Ive tried ordering just an ignition wire through the local Chevrolet dealer but they said they can only order whole plug wire sets. I guess ordering one wire just isn't possible in 2016? Lol any advice would be great
    1996 Camaro Z28-Built engine project car
    1994 Camaro Z28-Bolt on project car

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

94 vs 96 have different coil wires. 94 has a normal style with a spark plug end and an opti end. 96 has two opti ends.

Tip to you, go to advance auto, buy the cheapest set, then you will have 9 of them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status

If you call or email MSD and ask how to order a single wire, they'll sometimes just offer to send it to you for free. They've done that for me a couple times in the past.
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro z28

Ahh okay I figured they would be different between year models. Thanks for the advice guys. But do you really think that just that one wire arcing would cause such a big loss of power all throughout the powerband?

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

If the coil wire is arcing, it's potentially causing all 8 cylinders to misfire. Not like a single plug wire that only affects one cylinder.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Caleb
    Vehicle
    '94 Bright Teal Z28 M6

I may have an extra coil wire I can check tomorrow. Is your coil the 94 style? Can you steal the #1 or #2 plug wire off your other car and test it like that? (I don't know if that's a safe way tho.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bright Teal 94 Z28 K&N CAI Speed Engineering LTs Pacesetter ORY Magnaflow Muff
    Test my MPG Calculator https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle
    Silver 1996 Camaro Z28, Green 1996 Camaro Z28

Pm me your info I can make up some wires. @FastLT1
    96 Camaro Z28 Silver Mostly Stock, Full Exhaust
    96 Camaro Z28 Green Big Cam, Quick Performance 9 Inch Rear End, Full Exhuast

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro z28

Well a friend just picked me up a set of cheap plug wires from autozone and swapped the coil wire out. I let it idle for about 15 minutes and it did fine but when we drove it down the road to my grandpas and back, it started backfiring any time I gave it 1/4 throttle or more. Finally, it just died at an intersection and we had to push it into a church parking lot. Any time I cranked it, it would backfire through the intake and would just barely idle and as soon as I gave it gas, it would die.

So I had my grandpa come pick me up to take me home and I got the bad coil wire that's arcing and swapped it in the place of the new wire, and the car fired right up so we drove it home with no issues aside from the arcing of course.

One thing I noticed when using the new wire though, it kept wanting to slide back off the coil a half inch or so whenever I pressed it on but not to a point where it would disconnect or anything. I even had my friend push it tighter against the coil to see if that affected it trying to fire but it didn't. And the bad wire that arcs popped right on without backing off at all. So I'm wondering if that new one is even the right coil wire for the car in the first place. The part numbers are correct for it though

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro z28

I just got home after being out of state since last week and 96z28SideSwype already had a box with TWO new coil wires waiting for me at home completely free of charge! To me, that speaks leaps and bounds of his character and MSD. Thanks again man!

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro z28

So after putting the new MSD coil wire on, the engine still wouldn't fire up. I pulled the wire and grounded it to the strut tower and had my gf crank the engine so I could check for spark, and the coil wire was sparking just fine. So the MSD coil was getting spark through the wire. I did the same thing with the plug wire and spark plug to make sure the opti was getting spark through the plugs, and the plug was sparking just fine grounded against the strut tower. I also sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body to make sure it wasn't a fuel issue but it still wouldn't fire.

Well I ended up replacing the MSD ignition coil that was already on the car with a new AC Delco coil that I bought with those junk Autozone wires, and the engine fired right up with no problems. It runs good now and the new MSD coil wire doesn't arc, but in the complete darkness, I can see a very very faint blue glow coming from the new coil wire and the coil all around where it sits in its welded bracket. I can also see a slight blue glow where the coil wire is plugged into the Opti. And if I touch the coil wire with my finger, it looks like static electricity is coming out of my fingertip wherever I touch the wire.

Now I've read that this could just be something called Corona effect which isn't a big deal. But I'm not 100% sure that's what I'm experiencing. If I were to use dielectric grease inside the coil wire boots, would it help prevent this stuff? I'm not sure if it affects driving the car because I'm too scared to take it down the road for fear of it dying on me again. But I know with how it is now, it's idling and revving just fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast