Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Thread: corvettes

InActive Member

Status

Default corvettes

Hello fellas, Was hanging around and wondering why covettes stock(freemodded), dont run as good as other F-body's factory stock?
    96'TransAm ws6-- cloth-Ttop-RamAir, Pacesetter Longtubes,y BMR sfc slp hurst, CF DualFriction, slpChamberedcatback. Bradentonmotorsports.com

LTX Master

Status

what do you mean by "dont run as good"
    born with LTX in his blood!

Founding Member

Status
    Name
    Jay
    Vehicle
    93 Ultra Z

well the lt1 vette was rated around 300 hp. It is lighter than a f-body by about 400 lbs, but it is geared more for road racing, top speed and comfort. 1992-1993 LT1 vettes were still low 14 second cars stock. Vettes were always supposed to be the answer to the European "sports cars" (at least that is what they said in the 50's when the first vette rolled out) The fbody was started as a comeback to the Mustang. Both were a down and dirty "pony car". In later generations (3rd and 4th in particular) the f-body became more of a "muscle car" as the glory days of Muscle (1965 - 70 IMHO) were over.

My buddy owns a stock LS1 vette, and though it is very nice compared to my 93 camaro, i was not impressed with its performance. For much less money even with my time and mods my camaor seems much faster and I like to drive it better than the vette. I do think his vette would be much more fun on a road course or a long drive becasue it is a little more comfortable.

This being all said, there are A LOT of fast ass vettes out there

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Stock for stock a vette of any given year will have a performance edge on the F-Body of the same given year, 89 withstanding due to the 20th Turbo T/A. The vettes are lighter, have a lower coefficient of drag, and typically up to the C5/LS1 era would put more power to the ground than the F-Body. In the C5/LS1 F-Body's the exhausts for being so different flow very similar and this compensates on the F-Body for the IRS in the Vette making both put down right at about 300 RWHP bone stock. A stock LT1 F-Body usually put down in the 240-260 range, and a stock Vette was usually in the 260-280 range. L98's?? Don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

LTX Master

Status

my buddy had a 95 vette with a 6sp and i had a 96ws6 6sp. both were stock and i was running 13.7 and he was consistant 13.4. takin off he would always pull a car ahead but once we got rollin he wouldnt pull away and i wouldnt pull on him.
    born with LTX in his blood!

ok here is a vid of my stock 93 vette vs a stock 96 trans am both are 6spd cars. I had a passenger he didnt. I also ran in to the red and could feel the stock limiter shutting me down while i was telling my passenger to video tape the other car and not just the track lol. it was my worst run of the night to his best and it was good race i ran an 11.8X against him my best so far in stock trim is 11.40

i would saystock for stock a vette is faster than a f-body of the same year

InActive Member

Status

Excellent proof!! it was just the other way when i raced a 96vette stockvsstock guess its hit or miss car. Excellent
    96'TransAm ws6-- cloth-Ttop-RamAir, Pacesetter Longtubes,y BMR sfc slp hurst, CF DualFriction, slpChamberedcatback. Bradentonmotorsports.com