Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Default can a loose dipstick cause the car to smell of oil?

tonight i drove about 200 miles back from a car meet (super coupe shootout.. i used to own one and still know a lot of people in the club) and my car was smelling of oil. i found that the dipstick was not seated tightly on the tube and even now that i'm at home i had to kind of finegle it to get it to stay on there even with the car off. i'm thinking maybe the gasket on the dipstick tube is warn out? anyway can the fact the dipstick was not seated tightly on the tube (was sticking out maybe 1/2 an inch?) cause some oil to leak out and induce an oil smell? i have fixed all the major oil leaks within the last 2 years (intake manifold gasket, valve cover gaskets oil pan gasket) and didn't see any oil on the ground anywhere and i am not low at all.

1995 Black Trans Am LT1/4L60E 14.48@96mph
    Mods: 17" Corvette GS replicas, K&N panel, MSD wires, NGK iridium plugs, Ram Air box and hood 3.42 gears

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

sure, especially if it manages to work its way up the tube.... are you boosted???

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

my 3 little angels

Status

i can see it giving you the smell even without leaking any oil out

JASON.C '97'm6,pro 5.0,k&ncai,bbk52mm w/bypass,magnaflow cats,flowmaster c/back,strano springs,kyb agx shocks, lca relocate brackets,hounds tooth 30th interior,70k

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

when is the last time you were under your car.... just cuz you dont see spots, dont mean you dont have the leaks.....

IE a leak that is small enough to hit your exhaust and burn will never leave a spot, but will stink of oil......

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

Banned

Status
    Name
    Big Papi
    Vehicle
    2015 Fusion Titanium AWD
    Blog Entries

yea

LTX Jedi Master

Status

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    when is the last time you were under your car.... just cuz you dont see spots, dont mean you dont have the leaks.....

IE a leak that is small enough to hit your exhaust and burn will never leave a spot, but will stink of oil......
    Been there done that. finding oil leaks on these are NOT fun.
    LT1, M6, CC306 cam, Comp 918 springs, Hardened pushrods,Ported TB, TB Bypass, Descreened MAF, 4:10 Gear, pacesetter LTs, custom exhaust, Some Suspension Upgrades...

Near future: LE2 package

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Its my BIGGEST pet peev..... I HATE OIL LEAKS....... HATE EM!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post

i might still have some small leaks but the major ones got fixed. in fact i think i did see a small spot on the ground but i think it was back further than the engine. but the dipstick was definately not seated right last night when i checked it.

*edit* i had a brain fart last night. i was tired and not really thinking. i saw the big red dipstick handle sticking out and for some reason thought engine.... um no that would be the transmission dipstick that i saw popped out. the oil dipstick was fine.

any idea why my trans dipstick keeps popping out? even with the car off it seems like it is barely on there and going over a decent sized bump is probably what caused it to come loose. maybe i smelt trans fluid instead but i thought it was oil.
    Last edited by BLK95TA; 10-05-2009 at 11:48 AM.

1995 Black Trans Am LT1/4L60E 14.48@96mph
    Mods: 17" Corvette GS replicas, K&N panel, MSD wires, NGK iridium plugs, Ram Air box and hood 3.42 gears

InActive Member

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BLK95TA View Post
    i might still have some small leaks but the major ones got fixed. in fact i think i did see a small spot on the ground but i think it was back further than the engine. but the dipstick was definately not seated right last night when i checked it.

*edit* i had a brain fart last night. i was tired and not really thinking. i saw the big red dipstick handle sticking out and for some reason thought engine.... um no that would be the transmission dipstick that i saw popped out. the oil dipstick was fine.

any idea why my trans dipstick keeps popping out? even with the car off it seems like it is barely on there and going over a decent sized bump is probably what caused it to come loose. maybe i smelt trans fluid instead but i thought it was oil.
    think with your dipstick jimmy . maybe check the fluid? could have too much?
    1994 T\A, BBK shorties,CAI, cutout, full exhaust,MSD wires, 160* t-stat, 3.73s, cc503-1.6rr's-lunati lifters-stock pushrods FTW

my 3 little angels

Status

make sure the end of it isnt bent or anything...dont they have some kind of o-ring or something near the handle?check that

JASON.C '97'm6,pro 5.0,k&ncai,bbk52mm w/bypass,magnaflow cats,flowmaster c/back,strano springs,kyb agx shocks, lca relocate brackets,hounds tooth 30th interior,70k