Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LTX Regular

Status

Default When do you need an aftermarket computer?

I know having a LT1 that goes over 7000RPM is one reason to have an aftermarket computer. What are the other limiting factors to why you would absolutely need one in N/A? I want to build a bigger N/A motor for mostly street use and kind of want to keep it simple by keeping the stock computer. Even though my future build may not have high enough power to absolutely need one but I am wondering at what point you need to start really considering an aftermarket unit.
    Last edited by Firebat; 09-21-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Rob Warrick
    Vehicle
    95 Camaro z28

id love to know this answer. and want to know wat computer everyone uses
    95 6 speed
    385 nitrous build 9.80 goal
    build- http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5286

LTX Regular

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 LT1 Camaro

Boost. When running a pretty good amout of boost (probably above 14), the LT1's are a PAIN to tune properly.

N/A or spray below 7K rpm and your good to go.

94 Camaro: 10.57@127, AI H/C, stock bottom, 150 n20, TH400, 8.8 rear (11.49@119 n/a T56)
    99 Z28 1SC Stripper: 5.3, S480, Th400, MWC 9"

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by mpe331lx View Post
    Boost. When running a pretty good amout of boost (probably above 14), the LT1's are a PAIN to tune properly.

N/A or spray below 7K rpm and your good to go.
    Bingo.

Another good option now seems to be that LS1 computer conversion that was posted recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

LTX Master

Status

The LS1 computer conversion cost is right up there with standalone's.

mpe331lx is spot on though... Only thing I might add is that they are a pain to tune as soon as airflow maxes out the MAF (8-10psi). At which point you are stuck with using PE tables (Power Enrichment, an amount of fuel added dependent on rpm).

However doable, its not accurate and you will run the risk of engine damage.
    - Justin

Custom tuning with HpTuners and your most common standalones.
    Quote Originally Posted by WJ Birmingham
    Boost... Makes good motors better, and bad motors junk. http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/im.../icon_eyes.gif

LTX Regular

Status
    Vehicle
    1994 LT1 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Fire67 View Post
    The LS1 computer conversion cost is right up there with standalone's.

Yes and no. If you buy everything new with a complete harness, yes it will be costly. But if you purchase the basic kit, a used ls1 PCM and coils, do the DIY wiring harness mod kit, you can have it all together for a bit less then half of a stand alone setup.

When the time comes to replace the stock bottom end in stephs car with the 383, we'll be going with the EFIconnection ls1 pcm conversion for sure.

94 Camaro: 10.57@127, AI H/C, stock bottom, 150 n20, TH400, 8.8 rear (11.49@119 n/a T56)
    99 Z28 1SC Stripper: 5.3, S480, Th400, MWC 9"

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Yes and no. If you buy everything new with a complete harness, yes it will be costly. But if you purchase the basic kit, a used ls1 PCM and coils, do the DIY wiring harness mod kit, you can have it all together for a bit less then half of a stand alone setup.

When the time comes to replace the stock bottom end in stephs car with the 383, we'll be going with the EFIconnection ls1 pcm conversion for sure.
    Exactly. If this kit would have been on the market three years ago when I bought my computer, I'd have been all over this as the 99+ F-Body and Vette PCM's are VERY capable computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

Don't forget then you need a tuning cable/software, which isn't cheap.

Another reason for a nice standalone is in a big nitrous car, can tune per cylinder.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 12.34 at 108.2 bolt ons FOR SALE
    1983 Rx7 - 2560lbs 5.3/TC78 9.93 at 144.7, driving to the track and driving home
    1996 formula - budget bolt on setup

LTX Master

Status

Quote Originally Posted by skinnies View Post
    ...Another reason for a nice standalone is in a big nitrous car, can tune per cylinder.
    That benefits EVERY built combo, NA/FI/N20, but its hard to dial in without EGT's in every pipe.
    - Justin

Custom tuning with HpTuners and your most common standalones.
    Quote Originally Posted by WJ Birmingham
    Boost... Makes good motors better, and bad motors junk. http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/im.../icon_eyes.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Fire67 View Post
    That benefits EVERY built combo, NA/FI/N20, but its hard to dial in without EGT's in every pipe.
    I read plugs and adjust accordingly. EGT's help but plug reading is the answer along with a/f.
    8.453 @ 163.58 mph (best mph 164.27)

http://ltxtech.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24&dateline=128017345  3
    MAY 2011 cover/feature GMHTP......Jan 2008 cover/feature Camaro Performers
    2009,2010,2011,2015 LTX SHOOTOUT OUTLAW CHAMPION
    Current LT1 N2O record holder (Sept 5 2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast