Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    InActive Member

Status

(Note that his username is RumbleZ though. Probably a reason for that, haha. Kudos to him.)
    the rumble refers to the exhaust but is more just a play on the word rumbles since with the Z it could be read as rumbles or Rumble "Zee".

Anyway the solid mounts really aren't bad at all. Seriously... they don't rattle you around at stop lights. It's hard to convey the difference between feedback and a rattle or shake. The car is very tame with them in my opinion, it just feels more solid and you can feel what's going on. The solid mounts were an improvement for me in every way.. but that's just my experience. I have not been in one with the poly engine mounts that I was aware of, but I have had a set in hand and I don't thnk they'd be all that much different in feel. I just didn't want to have any potential issue with the poly's heating up and getting soft ever, so I went with solids. Just one of those things that with the solids there's no question that I shouldn't have to replace them, ever.

I had a friend that was convinced the solid mounts were just a horrible idea and it was going to ruin the car and make it really harsh and racecar-like etc etc. So, I didn't tell him I installed them so I could get a real reaction from him... a few weeks after I put the mounts in we took my car out and without asking or saying anything about the car feeling different, within a few minutes he commented the car felt a lot smoother... more solid... and no more major rattles. He asked if I had swapped shocks or something... Nope, just put in those "terrible" solid engine mounts. He thought I was BSing him until I popped the hood and showed him the passenger side where you can see the mount in there.

I had concern about knock initially so I did a lot of datalogging after the solid mounts install looking for knock, or false knock, and found nothing out of the ordinary. There is a slight amount of knock count increase at WOT, but not enough to show any significant spark retard, just .1 - .3 for a split second here and there. I dug up older datalogs before the solid mounts, they showed the same slight knock count increases and same .1 - .3 for the spark retard. Over significant bumps before the solid mounts I would see brief small increases in knock count and a bit of spark retard, that also went away now that the engine doesn't clank around. In my comparisons, everything seems to be normal in regards to knock and I have not seen anything that concerns me at this point.

As far as cracking the block, I've never seen any comments on that about it actually happening to LT1's, but I've never searched around about it specifically either. Years and years ago I heard comments about ford 5.0's having that issue, but I don't know if there was any truth to that. LS guys run solid mounts on the aluminum blocks and although I've never went searching for somebody having an issue, I've never seen comment about this happeneing or even any warnings about it when talking about running the solids. That being said I won't be surprised if someone can manage to turn something up with google.... if you're around these cars or any cars long enough you will see some people manage to break some pretty strange things in some pretty strange ways. So I'm not saying it isn't possible, for sure. But it doesn't concern me at all personally.

Here's a shot of the solid moroso mounts. They replace the stock mounts/shells entirely.

here is a shot of the poly's mounted in the factory shells

Again this is just my experience with them so far, I've had the solid mounts in for about a year or so now I think. Your results may vary. Also, I didn't post this stuff up to sway anyone to pick up the solids over the poly, just wanted to share my experience in response to the question about why someone would run a stiffer mount if it added noticeable vibrations. My results have been positive all the way around.

nom nom nom opti

Status

very great post rumblez thats exactly what i needed to know. ill be going with solids over poly's
    -Travis
    Past owner of 9 4th gen's

My midwest coverage: http://www.autofaze.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123