Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status
    Chattanooga, TN, currently at Little Rock AFB

Default Prothane motor mounts

Who uses Prothane motor mounts and how do you like them?
    -Tim R.- 2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Patriot 225/229 .580/.590 114+4

I got them, I had to trim one of the corners a little bit on the passenger mount so the bolt would go in straight, other than that no problems.

10 Second N/A Club

Status
    Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    96 Z28

I've got them. They went in with no problems. I somewhat wish I'd gone with solid mounts now, but that's my fault no the mounts. I have no complaints.
    -Josh
    co-owner of BDBRacing.com
    NMCA OC 9004
    96, N/A 385, Holley EFI, Faceplated M6, AI TFS heads, LE SR cam, MWC Fab 9
    10.16 @ 136 1.50 60'........still workin on that 60' shootin for 1.4's!

Founding Member

Status

I have them, nice pieces but drilling the stock mounts was a pita.

InActive Member

Status
    Chattanooga, TN, currently at Little Rock AFB

A lot of people say it adds a whole lot of shake to the motor/car. Is that true in yalls case? And is there a writeup anywhere to replace the mounts?
    -Tim R.- 2001 Trans Am WS6 M6

Patriot 225/229 .580/.590 114+4

Lurker

Status

I did have a noticeable increase in vibration...but that just comes with the territory. Nothing I couldn't live with.

Quote Originally Posted by HoLLo View Post
    A lot of people say it adds a whole lot of shake to the motor/car. Is that true in yalls case? And is there a writeup anywhere to replace the mounts?
    I can't remember if I installed the black ones or the red ones. The black are a little softer, iirc. I have polyurethane everywhere, so the car is a little rough, but we're not exactly working on a Cadillac to begin with. Poly engine mounts and transmission mount will make the car rumble a bit more.

Not much to the replacement. The factory rubber mounts are encased in a metal 'clamshell' -- you must separate the two halves of the clamshell by drilling out 5 rivets or so. Just be sure to get the proper orientation of the new mounts when reinstalling, zip-tie the clamshell together, and bolt everything back up. Unless you're removing the engine, it's obviously best if you do one side at a time -- helps with alignment.

Keep in mind that doing this will likely make your engine sit 1/2"-1" higher in the engine bay. Stock mounts tend to sag after a decade.

Lurker

Status

I have never heard that one color is softer than another...why would this be?

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. If they cause a noticeable increase in vibration... why do people run them? Are they just suppose to be stronger?

-Eric
    1997 Camaro SS # 2703 - Full exhaust, brand new suspension, bolt-ons, etc.
    2004 Silverado
    Z71 - Airraid, Corvette Servo, 33" AT's, leveled, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BLK WS6 View Post
    I have never heard that one color is softer than another...why would this be?
    I didn't notice that the thread title says Prothane. I used Energy Suspension. I was told black was softer, but I really don't know that for certain -- just what I was told at the store. I do know their black bushings are impregnated with graphite, which is used as a lubricant to keep it from squeaking. Perhaps that makes it inherently softer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KissMyWhtSS View Post
    Stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. If they cause a noticeable increase in vibration... why do people run them? Are they just suppose to be stronger?
    If you're going after comfort, then you probably shouldn't be looking at any polyurethane bushings/mounts, period. I did it for longevity (after looking at the stock mounts you'll see what I mean), plus it keeps the engine from torquing around under the hood. It might look cool to see the engine rock back and forth in the engine bay, but it's definitely not a good thing. (Now when I "rev" the engine, the whole car moves.) Unless you have an adjustable torque arm, this would also affect pinion angle in racing applications.

If you don't care about vibrations, it's more of an issue of "why not?" They're like $16 bucks a pop...
    Last edited by Alex94TAGT; 09-17-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast