Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I just bought the steering shaft but I don't have an air hammer so this may be interesting, plus my rag joint is so worn I man need to drill out the rivets and bolt them together on the rag joint to get it to sit at the right angle to match the ls1 to it

Just figured I would add an interesting piece of info to this. I decided to put an A1 Cardone remanufactured LS rack in my 95 formula M6 while doing the LS shaft mod. I researched whether or not to modify the shaft because of the LS rack being installed. Everything i seemed to find said that i still needed to modify the shaft and that the difference was in the steering column NOT the rack. Well i went and cut apart my new LS shaft i just bought and matched it perfectly to my stock LT shaft. When i went to bolt everything together, the shaft was 90 degrees off.....Would have bolted right up if i didn't modify the LS shaft....now i have to either cut mine back apart (which sucks because i sort of over did it with the tack welds) or buy yet another LS shaft and bolt it up right out of the box

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Quote Originally Posted by ShakerTransAm View Post
    Just figured I would add an interesting piece of info to this. I decided to put an A1 Cardone remanufactured LS rack in my 95 formula M6 while doing the LS shaft mod. I researched whether or not to modify the shaft because of the LS rack being installed. Everything i seemed to find said that i still needed to modify the shaft and that the difference was in the steering column NOT the rack. Well i went and cut apart my new LS shaft i just bought and matched it perfectly to my stock LT shaft. When i went to bolt everything together, the shaft was 90 degrees off.....Would have bolted right up if i didn't modify the LS shaft....now i have to either cut mine back apart (which sucks because i sort of over did it with the tack welds) or buy yet another LS shaft and bolt it up right out of the box
    Looks like popo is getting the shaft.... lol

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Xtreme Member

Status

Shaker...
    This is quite disturbing to me..... I used a steering column from a 19k SS,steering shaft along with my stock Lt1steering rack with the shaft being the only modded part in my 96 z

Quote Originally Posted by 96lt1m6 View Post
    Shaker...
    This is quite disturbing to me..... I used a steering column from a 19k SS,steering shaft along with my stock Lt1steering rack with the shaft being the only modded part in my 96 z

Because the columns are the same. Look at it this way. The lt shaft matches the lt rack. The ls shaft matches the ls rack. Regardless of the column. So putting a ls shaft with a lt rack calls for modifying the shaft and viceversa.

When I put the shaft in my car(97ta) I also put a ls rack in thinking it was the same. But after going over everything in my car I realized I didn't have to mod the shaft and figured I must have the newer steering column since my car was the hybrid year. It wasn't until Tyler found out the hardway that the column is the same but rack is diff. Also in his research if I'm not mistaken the ls rack has a different ratio. Made both of our cars feel alot better when cornering.

www.DCRestos.com

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

And now SHakers modified LS shaft is nicely attached to my LT rack.....

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

InActive Member

Status

I too have the shaft. Modified it the same way as it was described in the first post.
    1993 A3 Z28 (oversized ornament)

Quick question on the "LS" shafts. Do all 98-02 V6 and V8 cars have the same shaft? My local wrecking yards have plenty of 98-02 V6 cars, but no V8 cars. I would assume that they are all the same.

Lurker

Status

My 99 V6 did NOT have it. It matched the LT shaft with the ragjoint.
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

i just did this mod 5 minutes ago and it made a massive difference in my car! worth every cent of the $30 shipped. my original steering linkage had bad u joints and the rag joint was just totally shot..car feels like new.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast