Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    LTX Master

Status

Thanks for the feedback Shaun. I have never cared for the way the 275 fronts tracked on banked pavement. I have near new (less than 500 miles)Mickey Thompson street 275/40's on the front and they track worse that the old worn Sumo's that were on it.
    You got me thinking maybe I need more negative camber to get the tires square with the pavement under WOT. The front end REALLY lifts under hard acceleration.
    Hmmm
    Last edited by JOATMON; 04-10-2024 at 12:22 PM.
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.
    '57 Chevy 3100 p/u LT1/T56
    Wife's '94 Z28 has been sold.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JOATMON For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I think the "drag" style rear sway bar on the Formula helps keep the car stable. Without it, apply torque, right rear squats. left front comes up, and front end gets "loose".

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    I think the "drag" style rear sway bar on the Formula helps keep the car stable. Without it, apply torque, right rear squats. left front comes up, and front end gets "loose".
    That could be part of it on the street, at the track it still flexes the rear bar enough to pull the front left higher than the right. valid point i didnt even think about.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Have you tried adjusting the pre-load, using the adjustable end links? Should be able to keep it level. The bar is solid 1-5/16" chrome moly spring steel. The end links are bolted and welded to the subframe at the top. Steve Spohn had me sit in the driver's seat, and tweaked the adjustment. You're pushing a lot more torque than I was. I remember back in the day.... guy named "Joe O". Front tires 2-ft in the air with the front end at about 45-degrees..... insane.

Oddly, I was cleaning out old files from the basement last week and found the time slip from a single stage (~135 shot) pass. Lousy ET (11.162) due to weak launch on the high stall converter, but the 127.67 MPH was decent.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Have you tried adjusting the pre-load, using the adjustable end links? Should be able to keep it level. The bar is solid 1-5/16" chrome moly spring steel. The end links are bolted and welded to the subframe at the top. Steve Spohn had me sit in the driver's seat, and tweaked the adjustment. You're pushing a lot more torque than I was. I remember back in the day.... guy named "Joe O". Front tires 2-ft in the air with the front end at about 45-degrees..... insane.

Oddly, I was cleaning out old files from the basement last week and found the time slip from a single stage (~135 shot) pass. Lousy ET (11.162) due to weak launch on the high stall converter, but the 127.67 MPH was decent.
    yeah i added a quarter turn but after was when i started having the issues with #7/maf backfires.

When i went the 9.90/9.93 passes there was a turbo ls fbody there with stock springs and a stock sway, back passenger side was on the ground on the hit (transbrake launch) and the front left was nearly 3ft in the air, was wild lol

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

LTX Master

Status

Fred, What drag style sway bar did you use? Custom or off the shelf? You knocked a cobweb loose in my head because it made me remember a friend watching a holeshot commenting on how hard mine squats on the right rear and was lifting the left front tire. Maybe a "drag bag" in the right rear spring would be a cheap fix?
    '97 SS SLP,T56, Spec stage 2+ clutch,385 stroker,AFR210,XFI292,Moser 12 bolt eaton posi 4.10's. NO traction til top of 3rd gear.

Mine will noticeably yank front up on rolling hits but other than going plaid, never feels squirrely. I have 275s on all four corners. 26in front, 28in rear.

I have a UMI drag bar, and if you actually like taking turns etc, would highly suggest not going drag bar route.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Spohn Performance.

https://www.spohn.net/shop/1993-1997...-Sway-Bar.html

Steve Spohn used my car for measurements. We met on one of the early F-Body bulletin boards. He had a full time job as a welder, was starting to make F-Body suspension and chassis parts as a sideline. He needed to borrow a T56 to do a mock up of a kit to install the T56 in a 3rd Gen. I had a spare, dropped it off in PA where he lived. After that I would help him with photos and measurements on my Formula. Pushed his products on the F-Body boards.

I bought his early design adjustable torque arm. Turned out to be a real dog. tended to bend. He comped me an upgraded replacement, made a custom front chassis arm mount with DS loop, then upgraded it again with a beefed up custom design arm, with the DS loop moved back because of the Gear Vendors O/D. That's whats on the car now.

I was supposed to be the suspension guy on Baxters 9.0-second LT1. When George dropped the LT1 and replaced it with a Gen 1 engine making 1,350 at the flywheel (383ci Dart Iron Eagle, Brodix spread port exhaust 14? heads, huge Vortech centrifugal S/C) to compete in the PRO Edelbrock series Extreme Street class I just told him to drop it off with Steve Spohn. Steve had gone full time performance suspension parts manufacturer, in a huge, empty Alcoa aluminum factory in central PA. When Steve got done it was a consistent 1.20 (occasional 1.1x) 60-ft. Only thing we changed was adding front suspension limiters - George lived in fear of big wheelstands. Car pulled the front wheels no more than 6 to 8, sitting dead level.

He ran three events running low 8s at high 160 mph. But couldnt compete with the nitrous car in hot weather. Swore he would run nitrous on his next build. A few weeks later he asked me to sell the car, and never built another one.

No such thing as free advice.. you have to pay the price of reading my BS ye olde tyme stories.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

@JOATMON Are you looking for a street/twisty backroad setup or something more drag oriented? And what springs and shocks are on the front now? You can quell the front end lift by going with higher rate springs and shocks with more rebound up front, but you do sacrifice a little bit of load transfer to the rear tires by not lifting the nose. If it feels like the nose vaults up on the initial hit and then wallows around up there, I would focus on shocks more than springs.

I don't think camber is really going to net you a whole lot in this situation.

My has never really felt floaty with 275s up front, but I have been running streetcar springs (BMRs) for ages.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catmaigne For This Post:

LTX Master

Status

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    Mine will noticeably yank front up on rolling hits but other than going plaid, never feels squirrely. I have 275s on all four corners. 26in front, 28in rear.

I have a UMI drag bar, and if you actually like taking turns etc, would highly suggest not going drag bar route.
    LMAO, I had to look up "going plaid", had no idea what it meant. Warp speed LOL
    I do enjoy a bit of road course type driving, problem is, around here the roads are so shitty. Just when you feel comfortable taking some curves at speed , you hit some potholes and nearly lose control. Maybe a compromise between drag and road course suspension.
    Nolan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast