Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Haggard-hawk

I'm running 19's now. I have the 660's with about 6 events on them. I have another set on back order but they might be here in late August lol. So I bit the bullet and bought a set of 18" wheels and tires. Good news is that I got the tires already (Yokohama A052 in 315/30/18) bad news is that right after taking my money for the wheels, they emailed me and said I'll likely not get them until late August lol. If everything comes together in late August I'll have LOTS of fresh rubber to burn up and ill try to head out your way. I'll get with a bunch of my PA CAM brothers and see if we can stack the classes and have some fun!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joelster For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Pocono got cancelled, so I ended up doing a Philly event at Ripken Stadium in MD. Definitely not my best driving. Lot was pretty dirty and torn up which didn't help. Also runs were done consecutively which REALLY didn't help (tires were definitely overheating). I will pick up a small sprayer for next time.

I think my brake bias is still jacked up because the car won't tolerate much trailbraking without the ass stepping out. I know this is forcing me to take much wider lines to carry speed and costing me a bunch of time. Watched some vids of the faster guys and they get very heavy on the brakes far deeper into the corner, something my car won't allow.

Did some research and I think I had the brake balance problem backwards all along. I've read/been told conflicting things about this, but I think the entry oversteer is from too much rear brake because I'm demanding too much of the rear tires with so little weight on them. Tasking them with braking and lateral acceleration at the same time is probably what's causing them to shear and create snap oversteer. If a symptom of too much front brake is understeer on entry, I definitely have the opposite of that problem.

I think these Powerstop Track Day pads on the rear were a mistake as they are outdoing the massive CTSV setup (V1 calipers, 14" rotor, Ferodo HP1000/1 pads) on the front, even with tiny stock LT1 rotors/calipers. I threw the old mystery pads onto the rear of the car to see if that would help, but I can't tell because there's nowhere around here to go 10/10 safely. I could just barely make out the friction code on the old pads as 'FF' meaning they're somewhat grippy, but this could be anywhere from a premium ceramic to a Hawk HP 5.0. I'm gonna email AMECA to see if they can tell me what compound these are as I can just barely make out the code.

Might do an event this weekend if it doesn't rain, either Philly or NEPA. If not, next weekend in SNJ. I also ordered all of the oil cooler parts and will be throwing that on the car to do a track night at Pocono 8/17. Trying to lay these tires to rest lol.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

213103296_816072752602211_2174849689908832337_n.jpg

Oil cooler stuff showed up.

Derale 52578 oil cooler - 25 row
    Derale 15720 sandwich plate adapter w/t-stat - took a ton of deburring to clean up
    Derale 1/2" ID oil hose
    Fancy compression style hose clamps from Mcmaster
    Wix XP oil filter for a Cummins
    Misc fittings and mounting hardware to shove it somewhere in front of the radiator

I'm going to plug the stock oil filter bypass valve with a 1/4 NPT plug because the Cummins filter has an internal bypass valve.

Whats the thermostat rating on the oil block?
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    Whats the thermostat rating on the oil block?
    There's a cooler bypass hole that gets blocked off by the thermostatic coil/strip @ 180F. There are nicer thermostatic adapters with legit valves, but I can't complain for $40.

Got any pics of the hose? Been wanting to do this to my car for awhile

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    Got any pics of the hose? Been wanting to do this to my car for awhile
    Nope, but this is what I bought: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-15700
    AN lines would be nicer, but this will get the job done.

Cool cool, how much grinding did you have to do to the adaptor?

Looking to do this mod to my car out of sheer boredom.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

I didn't really have to grind anything, just deburred it with a file because there were a bunch of sharp edges. I did add a copper washer though so the steel adapter wouldn't gouge the aluminum housing.

0719211229.jpg

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

Rearranged some stuff. Moved the power steering cooler down by the air dam and screwed it in using the factory bolt holes. Built a bracket for the oil cooler and mounted it at the bottom-middle of the rad.

0724210116a.jpg

Here's the sandwich plate adapter. I think the Permatex PTFE sealant I used on the NPT fittings isn't fully sealing, but the leak is super minor. I'll redo it with tape at a later date.

0724210116d.jpg

I smacked a deer the other night. Went on a test drive through a nearby state park after buttoning the oil cooler up, rounded a corner pretty fast and spotted a doe on the oncoming side of the road. I locked up and slid for a bit, but the fucker leapt in front of my car at the last second which was probably only going <20mph by that point. It took out my popup headlight, slid up the hood and windshield, and then dipped into the woods. Somehow the hood and windshield survived without cracking. I grabbed another headlight from the junkyard yesterday so the car is already fixed.

Definitely put some flat spots into my front tires, although they're not that bad. These mystery FF rear pads aren't cutting it, so I already swapped them out for some GG rated Raybestos Element 3 hybrid pads. The Powerstop Track Day pads were rated HH for reference, so maybe the new ones are just right. I also changed the caliper slide pins on both sides as they were pretty sticky and worn.

0724210314a.jpg

Built a master cylinder brace and the pedal feel has improved a bunch. Feels firmer with improved feedback and the brakes release way quicker than before. Threshold braking felt nearly impossible before because of how spongey and inconsistent the pedal felt (lockup seemed to come out of nowhere and was super difficult to recover from), but I feel much more confident now. Should've done this long ago as the change in pedal feel was about as drastic as going from stock calipers to the V 4-pots.

0726212011.jpg

I'm doing a track night at Pocono tomorrow... wish me luck lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Catmaigne; 07-26-2021 at 11:15 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catmaigne For This Post:

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast