Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

• Navigation
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    "The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Default Convince me not to sell everything and get something more exotic or modern..

Like the title says... convince me as to why I shouldn't just wash my hands of the headaches, the expenses, the future headaches, the past heartaches etc and just put everything up for sale and move on to something more exotic or modern.

I currently have plans to swap in the camaro (thats the heartache part) motor into the impala (whether at the shop where everything was built or with some help of a few members/close friends).
    Thats where the headaches part comes into it...

But then what... thats where the future headaches come into it... idk... just rambling I guess, but the thought seems to cross my mind more and more every month, every week, every day I walk past that motor, or think about the car being down and coming across other issues...

Dont get me wrong, I love the Impala... there is not a connection like there was with the camaro, but then again that took over a decade and a half to establish...

Im sure everyone here knows about my camaro and what i saved and the plans for those saved items, but if not, lemme know and i can post up links...

In the end... would I be happier with a c7z, a GTR, a hellcat or demon, etc... or will I not be because anyone can go to the dealership and get one...

Im all over the place... lol. Sigh...

LTXtexh.com is my drug...
    Last edited by popo8; 10-03-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

What makes you certain that opening the check book for a new car will make you like the new car or have a connection with it?
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    What makes you certain that opening the check book for a new car will make you like the new car or have a connection with it?
    Nothing at all... but it will be a newer car with the amenities that come with 2015+ technology and warranty is all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Like you stated, anyone can buy a new car. Very few can actually build a car. Its an art. I love the fact that I can build a car and step back with pride and say I built that. I like to be different, the thought of an LS swap crosses my mind every now and then but I want to build that ultimate LT1 car so I can say LS swap not required. I want the be different and hear the LS guys cry when an outdated LT1 beats them. I have majorly of the parts and my car is paid for. Time is my issue but Ill get there. Definitely dont want a payment on something I can maybe drive 7-8 months if the weather is nice. Did that with a camper we bought new, making that payment in the winter months sucked!! Most cars of the 90s were run hard and then sent to the yard for parts. We need people like us to keep them alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1QUICKZ28 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

why cant you have both?

I know i just went and did what i did, but that was for the creature comforts, technology, warranty, etc as a "daily" (we all know i have a work truck so really its a drive when im home car) but i still have the impala too, i still want the project car life, i still want something i can make however i want thats mildly obnoxious and makes people go wtf.

the biggest thing you have to decide is, do you want to still do the project car thing. working, tinkering, modding stuff, or do you want to just be able to say "hey, lets go" and jump in something fun and fast with the tech and reliability/warranty. will it bother you that you just went and bought something more modern/exotic instead of being the hot rodder you have been for x amount of years?

i know i didnt lose any of my cars how you did, and didnt have a connection with them as strong as you and the camaro, but honestly, when i got rid of the firebird, a little piece of me disappeared. then when i had to sell you the impala due to my divorce, i really got disheartened and was like "why the hell do i keep putting money into this shit if i only ever lose it/sell it for a fraction". the 94 camaro just wasnt the same as the bird (plus the rust). Now, my current impala i do not want to rush, hence where the new camaro came in. i really do not want to mod it.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by SSlowBoat View Post
    why cant you have both?

I know i just went and did what i did, but that was for the creature comforts, technology, warranty, etc as a "daily" (we all know i have a work truck so really its a drive when im home car) but i still have the impala too, i still want the project car life, i still want something i can make however i want thats mildly obnoxious and makes people go wtf.

the biggest thing you have to decide is, do you want to still do the project car thing. working, tinkering, modding stuff, or do you want to just be able to say "hey, lets go" and jump in something fun and fast with the tech and reliability/warranty. will it bother you that you just went and bought something more modern/exotic instead of being the hot rodder you have been for x amount of years?

i know i didnt lose any of my cars how you did, and didnt have a connection with them as strong as you and the camaro, but honestly, when i got rid of the firebird, a little piece of me disappeared. then when i had to sell you the impala due to my divorce, i really got disheartened and was like "why the hell do i keep putting money into this shit if i only ever lose it/sell it for a fraction". the 94 camaro just wasnt the same as the bird (plus the rust). Now, my current impala i do not want to rush, hence where the new camaro came in. i really do not want to mod it.
    Idk if i still have the "project thing" in me... i guess the determining factor will be this swap to the impala and how it goes...

Oh, and I wont have both because i have a 2 car garage... and with the wife getting one side, i only have one spot for my "fun ride" whatever it may be...

Last edited by popo8; 10-03-2018 at 12:56 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 1QUICKZ28 View Post
    Like you stated, anyone can buy a new car. Very few can actually build a car. Its an art. I love the fact that I can build a car and step back with pride and say I built that. I like to be different, the thought of an LS swap crosses my mind every now and then but I want to build that ultimate LT1 car so I can say LS swap not required. I want the be different and hear the LS guys cry when an outdated LT1 beats them. I have majorly of the parts and my car is paid for. Time is my issue but Ill get there. Definitely dont want a payment on something I can maybe drive 7-8 months if the weather is nice. Did that with a camper we bought new, making that payment in the winter months sucked!! Most cars of the 90s were run hard and then sent to the yard for parts. We need people like us to keep them alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear u, and in my head, Im still that guy... physically, Im not.

As for only driving something new for a most of the year (the 7/8 months), thats not me. I drive my stuff all year round, unless its snowing, or there is snow on the ground, and even with that if i went with something awd like a GTR, Id even push that envelope in the less severe stuff...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

New cars are fun! I've been doing a lot of autocross stuff this year and having a blast. There's a huge race that I went to in PA as a spectator. At the UMI Motorsports facility in Clearfield. You should check out your local SCCA region and try your hand at a race. The amount of seat time you get for the money is tough to beat. Drag racing is still cool to me, but the amount of down time at every event gets so freaking old. They build classes specifically for our Camaro's Mustang's and Challenger type cars called Classic American Muscle, or CAM. 4th gens are quite popular in it. Maybe a breath of fresh air into something new is the spark you need?
    '94 coupe, 10.15 at 133.65 414" LT1, 4500 stall, n/a, pump gas, mufflers, street trim
    '15 Z/28, Red Hot, AC, Autocross beast

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joelster For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

So u think I should sell off everything and get something "fresher?"
    Quote Originally Posted by joelster View Post
    New cars are fun! I've been doing a lot of autocross stuff this year and having a blast. There's a huge race that I went to in PA as a spectator. At the UMI Motorsports facility in Clearfield. You should check out your local SCCA region and try your hand at a race. The amount of seat time you get for the money is tough to beat. Drag racing is still cool to me, but the amount of down time at every event gets so freaking old. They build classes specifically for our Camaro's Mustang's and Challenger type cars called Classic American Muscle, or CAM. 4th gens are quite popular in it. Maybe a breath of fresh air into something new is the spark you need?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast