Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joe Maddaloni
    Vehicle
    1997 camaro z28

Default Chevy 350 to replace lt1??

Good morning.. i know it may sound a little strange but is it at all possible to replace my 97 lt1 with an old school sbc and keep my factory harness and computer in order to pass nys inspection..... only reason i am considering this is because that there are not that many lt1 engines in my area and the ones that i do find are a ton of money to the point where they they are the same price as an ls or they are beat and look like a boat ancher lol.... trying to stick to a budget

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Given the LT1 computer being based on needing the high and low resolution pulse signals from the optical cam position sensor to time the ignition and injection, and the 97’s OBD-2 requirement for a crank position sensor to detect misfires it would appear rather difficult to run a Gen 1 SBC setup with an LT1 PCM. I suspect somebody has tried putting the optical module in a conventional distributor, but it’s not commercially available as far as I know.

You could interface with most of the other sensors and actuators. For strict emissions compliance, you would have to keep the electric AIR pump. And getting the EGR system to function might be tricky, since the EGR flow diagnostic is based on a specific change in MAP when the EGR system is cycled. Just changing the exhaust back pressure on an OBD-2 LT1 can be enough to set a code. Maybe a tuner could take care of that detail.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

whats wrong with yours?

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joe Maddaloni
    Vehicle
    1997 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by fullforce View Post
    whats wrong with yours?
    Honestly nothing right now... just picked up a vortec v1 and wanted to build a 383 and not have any down time

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk