Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Dan H
    Vehicle
    1995 LT1 Caprice

Default Engine knock - tore it open. Pix inside...

Had a knock when hot, and only when hot. Pulled the engine and dug into it and didn't find anything that screams "bad bearing", but I did see that the center mains were polished to a mirror like shine. What do you all think?

Rearmost cap has some weird horizontal scars.

Cap 2:

Cap 3:

Cap 4 - has a gouge in it. You can also see the different color of the 'gray' bearing surface up by my thumb. The rest of it has been polished-off

Front cap:

Some of the rod bearings also had horizontal scars:

All of the rod bearings also had these odd deposits on the bearing surface. Could not be wiped off. Not able to actually feel anything, though

Cam lobes looked ok. This one looked a bit weird. Probably get it polished pre-install

Anyway, if anyone wants to offer any ideas, I'm all ears. I don't want to do this again.

I also noticed a lot of oil-scale on the tops of my pistons. I am going to get the heads checked out and make sure the valve seals are good.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

oil pressure drop when hot?

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Dan H
    Vehicle
    1995 LT1 Caprice

Quote Originally Posted by fullforce View Post
    oil pressure drop when hot?
    Eh, no more than normal. 28-32psi hot on average.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Kyle Throckmorton
    Vehicle
    1972 Corvette 1996 Corvette

What does the crank look like on the journal surfaces? Any coolant leaks internally before? I know Dexcool will kill one fast if it gets in there. Did you check the oil for debris or metallic particles?

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Dan H
    Vehicle
    1995 LT1 Caprice

Quote Originally Posted by 72LT1 View Post
    What does the crank look like on the journal surfaces? Any coolant leaks internally before? I know Dexcool will kill one fast if it gets in there. Did you check the oil for debris or metallic particles?
    Journals on the crank looked fresh from the machine shop. No coolant leaks. I cut open the filter and there were tee-tiny flecks of metal in there, which is what led me to pull the engine and tear into it. I also am suspect of the lifters as it appears that some of the external coating on the rollers has started to flake off. Yes, you can catch a nail on these defects. These are Crower 6630 lifters.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    David Mayer
    Vehicle
    David

That flaking off your lifters is probably what got embedded into your bearings causing those pits. My guess

How did the skirts look on the pistons? Too much piston to wall clearance will also cause a "knock" piston slap
    Last edited by Daveyhouse; 02-20-2018 at 01:03 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daveyhouse For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Dan H
    Vehicle
    1995 LT1 Caprice

Skirts looked practically brand new. There is some scuffing inside the cylinder bores, but nothing outlandish. Pin-to-piston clearance is within spec. Still have not seen anything that points to "well THERE'S the knocker..." which in itself, pisses me off. I'm glad I tore into it because those lifters would have eventually killed the cam and made for large, expensive problems - but that knock I was hearing sounded exactly like a rod. The cam is shot, however.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Did you crank it with the belt off to make sure it wasnt something in the acc drive?

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Kyle Throckmorton
    Vehicle
    1972 Corvette 1996 Corvette

Any updates on what you suspect or found? Did you contact Crowers and email them pictures of the lifters?

Lurker

Status
    Name
    That guy...
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Man I would be angry if this were my engine, you are handling it much better than me.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk