Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Default No time, other projects, thinking of selling

Seriously considering just letting go. I've had this car for 10 years, half the time it's been just sitting while I dream of all the things I'd like to do. Unfortunately I just have too many other interests/projects/hobbies that keep taking precedent. I just don't know if I would even get enough to make it *worth* selling, if that makes any sense.

I keep holding on to it since it's an SS and I tell myself that it's hard to find a true SS (have all window stickers/papers/etc) that is basically all original. Even still has the SLP exhaust except for what I cut near the cat when taking the engine out (lots of rusted/frozen bolts + impatient).

It's been parked 3 years since I found a broken exhaust manifold bolt in the head, and decided to pull the motor and rebuild rather than just ignore or try and fix with it in the car. Since then the motor sat partially disassembled while I moved 800 miles, and like I said took up other hobbies and projects. I finally started to tear the motor down and found a bunch of water... somehow... in the oil pan even though it was running fine when I parked it. Stored indoors, so I have no idea.

Anyway it's at a point where I have all the parts in various plastic tubs in the garage, 6 speed sitting on the floor, engine on the stand... and I just don't know when I really will get into the car. I've got too many other things and not enough time or money. But like I said, I have no idea what basically a roller, even though it has the T56 and all the parts, would go for. I've got no performance stuff or fancy aftermarket parts. I've seen *running* 6 speed cars for basically the cost of the transmission, and at that price I feel like I might as well keep it in the garage in case I ever get the bug again.

What do you guys think? Worth keeping? Just sell it? Any ideas on value? There are some current, partial, pictures in my other threads. Body's in good shape, clear is peeling off the nose and wing. There's a scrape on the passenger rocker panel that the previous owner put there, maybe took a turn too tight over something.. but other than that it's dent free. Door hinges dont sag and close nicely. Cloth interior could use a cleaning.

Current partial pic from this past fall:

Just seems like someone else could give it a better home. I can't bring myself to part it out. Not enough of these cars rolling around anymore.
    1997 Camaro SS ~ 220k of stockness... undergoing transformation.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Not worth it to sell, you would lucky to get $2000.
    And like you said you can almost sell the transmission for that. Keep it and setup a sepeate fund for the car if it's been sitting that long what's another 3 years? 3 years at $25 a week would get you a nice rebuild.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Id give you 2k for it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by fullforce View Post
    Not worth it to sell, you would lucky to get $2000.
    And like you said you can almost sell the transmission for that. Keep it and setup a sepeate fund for the car if it's been sitting that long what's another 3 years? 3 years at $25 a week would get you a nice rebuild.
    That's kind of what I was afraid of. I could probably get more parting it, but I just can't. Seems like too many LT-generation cars are getting scrapped these days. I literally yo-yo back and forth daily. But I've got a boat that is taking up all my time and money, I've got an 80's C10 that I really want to fix up (cheaper and easier than the Camaro, too). If I haven't done anything with the car in the 10 years I've owned it, it's not likely it'll ever happen. I have kicked around the idea of getting a running LT1 - I've seen them for about 1K with all accessories/pcm/etc and ~150k miles - and throwing that in just to have a running car, but I don't think I would recoup the cost.

Id give you 2k for it
    Thanks, but I think for that number, like fullforce said I might as well let it sit here. If I ever do decide to walk away from it, I'll probably throw it out there on a couple sites for like $3k and just see what happens.

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    93 Bird

Take your motor parts to a machine shop and have them do a basic refresh and reassemble. It won't cost as much as you may think. Then just drop it it it the car. Save any upgrades for down the road if you decided to do so. Don't get too caught up with the "while I'm in there" syndrome that can delay projects forever.

At this point you will have a runni g and driving car again. Maybe a few months down the road you can save up and get the spoiler and bumper repainted.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Batman For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Or put that motor and trans in your C10 and sell the roller?

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by fullforce View Post
    Or put that motor and trans in your C10 and sell the roller?
    Ha! Can’t say the thought hasn’t crossed my mind. That would be sick.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TrybalRage For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

Let me know if you would let me to sale it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

do it!