Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 TransAm 385

Default Whipple LT1 Idea

So first off, I know people have thought about making a positive displacement style supercharger work on the LT1 and a few have even made them with custom made/machined intakes, or remote mounted the blower.

My idea is would be to use a SBC Whipple intake with intercooler, and modifying it to work on the LT1/4, which I would think would be the same as converting a SBC intake to the LT1? Then to use the rear pulley setup with throttle body on the front of the supercharger. Obviously this would require a non-stock hood, but I have a taller than stock hood already and don't mind trimming the cowl. I would assume that this would be the easiest/cheapest way to do a Whipple LT1. Thoughts, input, info from those who have attempted this? This isn't a near term goal for the car, but it is a long-term (2-3 years) goal and I think should be doable?
    1995 TA M6 E85
    Power mods: AFR 210 Comp Eliminators, LE LT4 intake, Custom LE cam, 12.5:1 385ci, M29
    Suspension: Koni's, 600/175lb Ground Control, 36.5/21mm sway, Fays2 Watts Link, rod-ended everything, C5 brakes, etc.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by kgkern01 View Post
    So first off, I know people have thought about making a positive displacement style supercharger work on the LT1 and a few have even made them with custom made/machined intakes, or remote mounted the blower.

My idea is would be to use a SBC Whipple intake with intercooler, and modifying it to work on the LT1/4, which I would think would be the same as converting a SBC intake to the LT1? Then to use the rear pulley setup with throttle body on the front of the supercharger. Obviously this would require a non-stock hood, but I have a taller than stock hood already and don't mind trimming the cowl. I would assume that this would be the easiest/cheapest way to do a Whipple LT1. Thoughts, input, info from those who have attempted this? This isn't a near term goal for the car, but it is a long-term (2-3 years) goal and I think should be doable?
    we have an intake/whipple 2.9l already set up that clears cowl. it was a sbc Victor jr intake cut and modified by TA KID on ls1 tech. it's a front pulley rear elbow to tb setup.

off the shelf sbc ones are too tall without cutting cowl/windshield on an fbody. we are looking to have a cnc machined manifold done like Cornell did and never completed. I mean ALOT of cowl cutting, not just "trimming"

There is no easy or cheap way with a whipple and an lt1 in an fbody. expect to pay alot to have it done right. the used kit we got was like 2500 on a deal from a friend, and it needs alot of work to be right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SSlowBoat; 11-20-2017 at 05:51 AM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post: