Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Default 95 z28 white smoke after idle

Okay I am looking at this 95 z28 and the owner says that it was his good friends car for past 15yrs. Owner said it started smoking after new Delco opti was installed due to car misfiring etc. Stated car never overheated and it didn’t smoke prior to the opti going bad.

Curious to see what all your thoughts are on this? I have had Lt1’s before one ran good and other had misfire I could not fix. Below is the parts list and a video of it running (before it would smoke...he did also state he does not drive it since after the opti was put in)

Motor:
    383 Stroker LT1, forged eagle crank, forged h beam eagle rods, JE Forged Pistons, Aluminum CFE Stage 3 heads, Cam 239/245 577 577 114 LSA, Brand new Opti spark distributor
    Crane lifters, 1.7 roller rockers, ARP studded main caps, ARP head bolts, ARP cam bolts, over sized oil pan

Body:
    Less than 80,xxx miles, motor less than 5,xxx miles

Trans:
    T-56 bullet proofed - Steel 3rd and 4th gear shift forks, Carbon Fiber syncros
    Stage 4 spec puck clutch / Pro 5.0 short shifter

Rear:
    7.5 2002 SS 3 channel rear, 3.73 Eaton Posi, Studs, TA girdle, 30 spline axles

Bolt ons:
    K&N cold air
    1LE intake elbow
    Holley 52mm throttle body
    Ported intake manifold
    Long tube pace setter headers
    Offroad Y pipe
    Mzeer electric water pump
    160 or 180 thermostat
    MSD 6AL box
    Tuned by Rev Extreme out of Tampa
    Walbro 255 Fuel pump (Racetronics 12v constant fuel pump)
    Alum drive shaft
    Energy suspension

Video of it idling before it smokes (sounds healthy to me)

All inputs appreciated possibly looking at this Friday and it’s a drive and needing a trailer to bring it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by 07stuntin6r View Post
    Okay I am looking at this 95 z28 and the owner says that it was his good friends car for past 15yrs. Owner said it started smoking after new Delco opti was installed due to car misfiring etc. Stated car never overheated and it didn’t smoke prior to the opti going bad.

Curious to see what all your thoughts are on this? I have had Lt1’s before one ran good and other had misfire I could not fix. Below is the parts list and a video of it running (before it would smoke...he did also state he does not drive it since after the opti was put in)

Motor:
    383 Stroker LT1, forged eagle crank, forged h beam eagle rods, JE Forged Pistons, Aluminum CFE Stage 3 heads, Cam 239/245 577 577 114 LSA, Brand new Opti spark distributor
    Crane lifters, 1.7 roller rockers, ARP studded main caps, ARP head bolts, ARP cam bolts, over sized oil pan

Body:
    Less than 80,xxx miles, motor less than 5,xxx miles

Trans:
    T-56 bullet proofed - Steel 3rd and 4th gear shift forks, Carbon Fiber syncros
    Stage 4 spec puck clutch / Pro 5.0 short shifter

Rear:
    7.5 2002 SS 3 channel rear, 3.73 Eaton Posi, Studs, TA girdle, 30 spline axles

Bolt ons:
    K&N cold air
    1LE intake elbow
    Holley 52mm throttle body
    Ported intake manifold
    Long tube pace setter headers
    Offroad Y pipe
    Mzeer electric water pump
    160 or 180 thermostat
    MSD 6AL box
    Tuned by Rev Extreme out of Tampa
    Walbro 255 Fuel pump (Racetronics 12v constant fuel pump)
    Alum drive shaft
    Energy suspension

Video of it idling before it smokes (sounds healthy to me)

All inputs appreciated possibly looking at this Friday and it’s a drive and needing a trailer to bring it back.

valve seals or rings. unless he has just open breathers and no pcv. people love deleting them not realizing they aren't letting the rings seal then

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Ekkk that’s what I was thinking

Using Tapatalk

Any other opinions?

Using Tapatalk

ok you said it smokes white "After" it warms up? something expanding like a crack in the head or head gasket, white smoke is usually water = Steam, tough call, how does the oil look? any white foam on the oil cap?

Default 95 z28 white smoke after idle

I haven’t personally went and looked at it just trying to fig out of its work the time and effort renting a trailer like I just did for another car I declined on. And also how long does it take for the oil to show signs of coolant? I notice guys will ouhave “fresh oil” to be nice but in reality they want to hide issues.

Using Tapatalk