Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil Pan

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by donfrye View Post
    I'm not being a lazy ass but seriously have no idea where to obtain the spring and drive. Is that something Summit or Rockauto would have? I've only seen the full pump unit during my (mis) adventures.
    yes, drive can be had from advance auto for 15, spring is on pace performance, standby for links

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/mel-is-55e

http://paceperformance.com/i-5134767...mp-spring.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status

donfry

oil pumps last a loooong time....

100k mi pump on a motor that did not blow up sending metal shavings everywhere should be fine

you should absolutely get the Melling or ARP 1 piece drive shaft though. The plastic collar on the stock one gets brittle and once removed and re-installed..that collar can crack so for the $12-$15 it costs to replace with a solid metal one is advised. a cracked plastic collar will break and you will immediately have no oil pressure. Also be very careful on re-installing the oil pump drive gear with that one small bolt. The old plastic top can crack or break so just "snug" it on using some loc-tite first on threads

Now you have a cam and will spin the motor higher RPM a "high pressure" spring (GM white one) is what many install in the stock oil pump. Opening up the pump to install it you will immediately see if there is any problem inside it but 100k mi alone is not a reason to change it on a otherwise working motor.
    96 BBB 383/T56

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BALLSS For This Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123