Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pan

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1995 Mystic z28

Default Oil Pan

I'm doing the cam swap and found some gunk in the front of my oil pan along with a slight tear in the gasket around one of the front pan bolts.

My question is this, without the intake and valve covers on the motor, can I get enough clearance between the crossmember and pan to remove it completely if I remove both motor mount bolts and lift?

Thanks in advance to anyone with knowledge. I've read about every single post on the subject and can't seem to find much other than it's a major PITA.
    95 Mystic Z28, 17x9 FR, 17x11 RR ZR-1's, Pacesetter LT's and Y-pipe, Borla adjustable, Moroso CAI, 2800 Stall, AC Delete, and Cracked Dash/broken lid Mod.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by donfrye View Post
    I'm doing the cam swap and found some gunk in the front of my oil pan along with a slight tear in the gasket around one of the front pan bolts.

My question is this, without the intake and valve covers on the motor, can I get enough clearance between the crossmember and pan to remove it completely if I remove both motor mount bolts and lift?

Thanks in advance to anyone with knowledge. I've read about every single post on the subject and can't seem to find much other than it's a major PITA.
    easy way, support engine, loosen 6 k member bolts, drop k down as low as you can without removing bolts, rotate engine while fishing pan out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle
    1996 camaro Police interceptor

I have been able to remove motor mount bolt and trans mount bolt. Jack up the engine support it with a jack stand and 2/4 remove pan and replace gasket

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Camaro96 For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Weston Ketner
    Vehicle
    1995 trans am

I did this on a lift before. I removed the motor mounts and used an engine hoist to pull the motor up and the oil pan will slide out the back. It's a little tight.. but it comes out. My motor was complete too. Starter has to come off too.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitt8090 For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1995 Mystic z28

Thanks guys.

I pulled the motor mount bolts and got it high enough to pull. I think I jacked up the low oil sensor but that's 13 bucks on rockauto. Pulled starter obviously.

Now I'm waiting in my prothane poly mounts to come so I can kill the floor thump.

I suppose I should take some pics but I'm bad about shit like that.
    95 Mystic Z28, 17x9 FR, 17x11 RR ZR-1's, Pacesetter LT's and Y-pipe, Borla adjustable, Moroso CAI, 2800 Stall, AC Delete, and Cracked Dash/broken lid Mod.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to donfrye For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

Thanks guys.

I pulled the motor mount bolts and got it high enough to pull. I think I jacked up the low oil sensor but that's 13 bucks on rockauto. Pulled starter obviously.

Now I'm waiting in my prothane poly mounts to come so I can kill the floor thump.

I suppose I should take some pics but I'm bad about shit like that.
    I'm not sure the mileage on your motor. If you have high mileage are low oil
    Pressure. I would change it. While your have the pan off.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1995 Mystic z28

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro96 View Post
    I'm not sure the mileage on your motor. If you have high mileage are low oil
    Pressure. I would change it. While your have the pan off.

I don't know what you're referring to.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Weston Ketner
    Vehicle
    1995 trans am

He's saying based on your milage and if you have low oil pressure now would be a good time to change the oil pump also. Tubby has the part # for the "white" spring from gm that ups the oil pressure too.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Joel
    Vehicle

I don't know what you're referring to.
    Sorry, if you have high mileage on your engine ( 1,000.000) miles I would recommend changing your oil pump. While you have the oil pan off. Its cheap ins to preserve your engine from bearing damage do to lack of oil.

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1995 Mystic z28

Ahhh. Ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast