Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pcv rubber boot

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    2000 camaro v6 96 camaro ss

Mine is a 96 reason I am concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Not sure how pressure in the intake manifold can "blow the PCV out".

Just to clarify - the end of the PCV valve, that pushes into the grommet on the side of the manifold is not exposed to the plenum. There is an internal passage that runs down the inside of rhe manifold, to a small slot that is exposed to the lifter valley/crankcase.

The outflow from the crankcase passes out of the PCV on the external end, pulled by vacuum from the intake manifold plenum. In 93/94 the vacuum line is the C-shaped hose connected to a nipple on the manifold. On 95-97 the vacuum hose connects to a port under the throttle body.

If the intake is pressurized, the pressure would force closed the check valve pellet in the PCV. Worst that could happen is the pressure would blow the vacuum line off the manifold or off the valve. With forced induction it would make sense to change to the catch can/PVC as Brian described.

If you have significant pressure in the crankcase, it will vent through the breather.
    1996 ss camaro: .040 over forged srp dished pistons forged h beam eagle rods 68 mm turbo ported heads and intake ltcc ignition.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by supr67 View Post
    Mine is a 96 reason I am concerned.
    Doesn't matter what year. If the manifold is pressured, the pressure travels through the vacuum line, to the OUTSIDE end of the PCV. It would be forcing the PCV into the grommet. The end of the PCV inside the manifold is NOT exposed to manifold pressure. It is only exposed to the lifter valley and crankcase.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12