Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pcv rubber boot

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    2000 camaro v6 96 camaro ss

Default Pcv rubber boot

So I have a turbo lt what is everyone doing with the pcv I'm always worried I'm going to blow the pcv valve out of the rubber boot under boost any one doing away with that port and making a different set up with the valve covers and catch tanks?
    1996 ss camaro: .040 over forged srp dished pistons forged h beam eagle rods 68 mm turbo ported heads and intake ltcc ignition.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by supr67 View Post
    So I have a turbo lt what is everyone doing with the pcv I'm always worried I'm going to blow the pcv valve out of the rubber boot under boost any one doing away with that port and making a different set up with the valve covers and catch tanks?
    never blew the pcv out. if you are, you got bigger issues man. we run a mighty mouse v2 pcv/breather can that has a pcv valve and a breather check valve. normal driving = normal pcv operation, wot = pcv closes and check valve in breather opens to breathe. also have the passenger valve cover hose going down to blower inlet. you just cut your stock pcv valve weight out and use it as a fitting and insert like normal. if it blows out, i would be worried

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    2000 camaro v6 96 camaro ss

I understand that but it being directly in the intake and it is going to see 15 psi of positive pressure against it being held only by a rubber boot I would feel better if I were to thread a barbed fitting into the intake and do an inline pcv with check valve just wandering if any one has done it

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by supr67 View Post
    I understand that but it being directly in the intake and it is going to see 15 psi of positive pressure against it being held only by a rubber boot I would feel better if I were to thread a barbed fitting into the intake and do an inline pcv with check valve just wandering if any one has done it
    This sees 11-12psig. use a 1/2" to 3/8" barb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Default Pcv rubber boot

Following... I've always wondered the same thing. What are the high boost guys doing with PCV? In the range of 15-22 PSI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1QUICKZ28; 09-27-2017 at 07:39 AM.
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

In my setup the only reason my catch can sees boost is if I have major blow by and the crank case gets pressurized. Which is entirely possible since my ring gaps are large.

I have a mightymouse draft style can, so normally its being given a vacuum source via inlet pre turbo. The can uses that vacuum to pull air "across" the motor, so one VC has a breather and the other is sucking. Once the turbo is not providing vacuum or its not enough to pull, the can switches to a breather. I run a filter so realistically there is always a differential to pull from.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    In my setup the only reason my catch can sees boost is if I have major blow by and the crank case gets pressurized. Which is entirely possible since my ring gaps are large.

I have a mightymouse draft style can, so normally its being given a vacuum source via inlet pre turbo. The can uses that vacuum to pull air "across" the motor, so one VC has a breather and the other is sucking. Once the turbo is not providing vacuum or its not enough to pull, the can switches to a breather. I run a filter so realistically there is always a differential to pull from.
    So you eliminated the stock PCV valve setup and switched catch cans?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by 1QUICKZ28 View Post
    So you eliminated the stock PCV valve setup and switched catch cans?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have a single plane, so no factory PCV.

I semisetup @blackbirdws6 PCV setup, maybe he can share pics of his since he has boost and factory intake.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Brian DeLuca
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    I have a single plane, so no factory PCV.

I semisetup @blackbirdws6 PCV setup, maybe he can share pics of his since he has boost and factory intake.
    I can grab a couple pics later but my setup is as follows.

- passenger VC uses oil cap, no breather
    - drivers side VC uses a breather
    - MM PCV can - PCV port from intake goes to inlet of can, outlet of can with the check valve goes to the port under the throttle body on the intake

Let me know if that helps. I spent a good deal of time with Dave (MM) getting this sorted and it appears to work well.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt - 10.2@140 / 777rwhp - Forever Dyno Queen
    17 Corvette Z06 - 11.05 @ 125
    17 GMC Sierra Denali Dmax

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blackbirdws6 For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Not sure how pressure in the intake manifold can "blow the PCV out".

Just to clarify - the end of the PCV valve, that pushes into the grommet on the side of the manifold is not exposed to the plenum. There is an internal passage that runs down the inside of rhe manifold, to a small slot that is exposed to the lifter valley/crankcase.

The outflow from the crankcase passes out of the PCV on the external end, pulled by vacuum from the intake manifold plenum. In 93/94 the vacuum line is the C-shaped hose connected to a nipple on the manifold. On 95-97 the vacuum hose connects to a port under the throttle body.

If the intake is pressurized, the pressure would force closed the check valve pellet in the PCV. Worst that could happen is the pressure would blow the vacuum line off the manifold or off the valve. With forced induction it would make sense to change to the catch can/PVC as Brian described.

If you have significant pressure in the crankcase, it will vent through the breather.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast