Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Thread: Help!!!

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1995 Mystic z28

Default Help!!!

Doing cam install. Garbage valve spring compressor slipped while holding spring and retainer. I can't find my retainer anywhere!

Question is, I'm using Alex's parts springs, locks, seats and retainers. I believe they're typical 7 degree 1.270 o.d and .670 i.d.

Alex's is closed for Sunday.

Question- the stock retainer fits perfectly but is not quite as stout or thick. Can I reuse the stock retainer or do I need to wait til tomorrow?
    95 Mystic Z28, 17x9 FR, 17x11 RR ZR-1's, Pacesetter LT's and Y-pipe, Borla adjustable, Moroso CAI, 2800 Stall, AC Delete, and Cracked Dash/broken lid Mod.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by donfrye View Post
    Doing cam install. Garbage valve spring compressor slipped while holding spring and retainer. I can't find my retainer anywhere!

Question is, I'm using Alex's parts springs, locks, seats and retainers. I believe they're typical 7 degree 1.270 o.d and .670 i.d.

Alex's is closed for Sunday.

Question- the stock retainer fits perfectly but is not quite as stout or thick. Can I reuse the stock retainer or do I need to wait til tomorrow?
    id wait, but that's just me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Definitely wait.

I'm sure you are very eager to get it running, but you have a lot of time and money tied up in that car to risk it on a cheap single keeper. You wouldn't want it coming loose at 6k rpm would you???
    93 Medium Patriot Red Z28: Forged 383,GTP'd AFR 220s(@227ccs), LE .7xx" Billet SR,1.7 Shaftmounts,24x,Maxed Supervic,4150 TB. :12 Metallic Spark Black ZX14R: 1.5" drop, GP slipons, -2 Vortex rear. 152mph trap SWB, stock motor...now with Nitrous... :09 Victory Red LS3 Z51 Vette: Blackouts, muffler delete, sub. Purchased bone stock w/18k mi.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Puck For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1995 Mystic z28

I waited. Thanks.

Should have just bought the Howard's 98215.
    95 Mystic Z28, 17x9 FR, 17x11 RR ZR-1's, Pacesetter LT's and Y-pipe, Borla adjustable, Moroso CAI, 2800 Stall, AC Delete, and Cracked Dash/broken lid Mod.

Lurker

Status

The "retainer" flew off and you can't find it??

I believe it is to big to fall inside the head but the "keepers" certainly can. Just confirm nothing went "inside" the various open pockets in the head. I always use rags/paper towels stuffed in those passages when doing springs.

I would get another retainer from Alex Springs. The 7 degree keepers, aka locks, from your stock springs could be used if you lost a keeper.
    96 BBB 383/T56

Lurker

Status

The "retainer" flew off and you can't find it??

I believe it is to big to fall inside the head but the "keepers" certainly can. Just confirm nothing went "inside" the various open pockets in the head. I always use rags/paper towels stuffed in those passages when doing springs.

I would get another retainer from Alex Springs. The 7 degree keepers, aka locks, from your stock springs could be used if you lost a keeper.
    96 BBB 383/T56

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1995 Mystic z28

Yes. The retainer was in the overhead compressor and it popped off sending all parts flying. I already had the holes in the motor blocked.

As an update- Alex's is sending me a new one.

So, waiting for retainer and "tims " tool.