Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Default Bought a Cheap 2005 Golf GLS TDI

Was NOT looking to buy a car. I have my 2012 Passat SEL TDI that got the emissions fix a few weeks ago and still knocks down 42 on average and I can get around 47 highway. Wife is driving a 230K mile tired 2005 Chrysler Pacifica, but it's been the best most reliable vehicle we've ever owner. It's biggest flaw is the lack of fuel economy. Its age has dragged it down to 15/19.5 city/highway. And it's showing some rust and it's age in general. Worst this mechanically is the front cradle is rotting.

So anyway, there's a little diesel car lot near my house. I got familiar with them when I was looking for a car, so I swing by on occasion. Went with a buddy to look at a different car, and the owner was showing me this 05 Golf GLS he recently got. REALLY clean car, 225k miles, manual transmission, he said it only needs a new turbo. Showed it to another buddy of mine who has a 325K mile 01 Golf that's falling apart at the seams, figured it would be a cheap upgrade for him. He ended up passing on it (and I was in Chicago yesterday and looked at a 15 Golf S TDI for the same buddy that he IS buying), but I kept thinking about it because of how well kept the car was.

So yesterday I told my wife to go peek at it. She liked it, said she could see driving it. We talked about it, about the adjustment of moving her and the kids from the Pacifica to that. Biggest issue is vacations, as there's FAR less room to bring the dogs along. But we're sick of the poor fuel economy of the Pacifica, and at 230K we feel it's a ticking time bomb.

Today I went and had the owner of the lot start the car. It's a BEW motor so there's potential cam wear issues, and that's why I wanted to run it the most. It fired right up with no strange sounds at all. Big plus. Even better, there were NO fault indicator lights at all on other than the wiper fluid low light which is empty. Even the AC worked.

So we settled at $2140, $2K for the car and the $140 is sales tax. I'm going to bring cash on the 12th and he's going to tow it home for me (it's POURING oil out the tail pipe, so better to not take a chance). We're going to put a VNT-17 turbo from a PD150 European spec car on it, which is a direct bolt on. Delete the EGR and cooler, and do a Malone stage 4 tune. Call911 is the guy buying the 15 Golf, so I'm getting the short shifter from his 01 Golf he's going to get rid of. Should be a good little driver with about 160 WHP and 275 WTQ after the tune. Going to cost us about $3500 total, but after selling the Pacifica, hoping to only be out of pocket $1500 to $2000 on it. And if my wife doesn't like driving it before we sell the Pacifica? I'll sell it for a tidy profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Nice... keep us posted as u bring it back to life... pics pics pics...

Im not only an LTXtech member... Im also the Owner.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Looks really clean!...We love our MKVI GTI. It's been flawless so far. (It's made more LTx events than my own car) I've thought about picking up a MKIV GTI VR6 or 1.8t more than a few times as a work/MPG car.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    Nice... keep us posted as u bring it back to life... pics pics pics...

Im not only an LTXtech member... Im also the Owner.
    Oh but of course. I'm getting it to the house on Wednesday the 12th and will immediately begin pulling the intake and turbo off. Ordering a new turbo at the end of this week so I can hopefully get right on it after I get it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    Looks really clean!...We love our MKVI GTI. It's been flawless so far. (It's made more LTx events than my own car) I've thought about picking up a MKIV GTI VR6 or 1.8t more than a few times as a work/MPG car.
    The MKIV's are great cars, IF they get maintained. Most of them anymore are ragged out, rusted out, etc. Kind of why I coudln't pass on this one. The 2015 Golf S TDI that my buddy is buying is an amazingly nice car. I really find I'm liking VW's offerings on their newer stuff, and REALLY want to get my wife into a Sportwagen TDI just for a bit more room. I have a buddy here in Fort Wayne that has a 2012 Golf R with a bit of work......that's a VERY pleasing car to drive.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

First, screw photobucket and their ransom. They broke the damn internet with this 3rd party hosting thing. There are so many insane numbers of write ups that are USELESS now because of no pics. Anyway.....

Got the car home yesterday. Left a nice trail of oil up my driveway from the oil dumping out the exhaust. But what's better than one TDI? Two TDI's!

Found out some information though. First, and shockingly, it's a freaking one owner car. Literally. Dude that bought it originally, donated it to some charity when the turbo went, charity sold it to the local lot guy I bought it from, title has two transfers on the back but has only been titled to the original owner. He donated it on 11-20-13, the lot I bought it from got it on 11-23-16, and he has sat on it since then because he didn't want to put the work in. Cool, score for me. I found the previous owner, even a good phone number, and called him yesterday. Hoping he calls me back, I'd like to know if he has records or anything. Left him a polite message saying "got your old car, it's in great shape, thanks for taking such good care of it, etc." Hoping that was enough to get a call back, lol. Older gentleman too so I'm thinking it was probably dealer serviced.

Got right to work yesterday. Started removing the intake manifold and everything in order to get the turbo out. Got as far as getting the EGR cooler out of the car. Thank god that's not going back in. Going to put in some time today, should have the intake manifold off and be close to removing the turbo/manifold.

New parts are ordered. VNT-17 turbo from the European PD150 cars, 3Bar MAP sensor, EGR block off plates, new shift knob and boot (torn boot), new drivers door switch plate (old one was all hacked up), pair of key fobs, and parts to do a braided feed line for the turbo. Total cost was about $950. Will still need to do a tune which is going to cost me another $450 but with the new turbo, will pump power up to around 160/280 at the front wheels. Plenty to get around in.

More to come.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Got the intake manifold out today.

Did some more sleuthing, and found the dealership where the car was serviced. It's ENTIRE life. Records are being mailed to me. Best news, timing belt is only 60K into a 100K cycle. And I inspected it last night and the belt looks brand spanking new.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    First, screw photobucket and their ransom. They broke the damn internet with this 3rd party hosting thing. There are so many insane numbers of write ups that are USELESS now because of no pics.
    Who needs write-ups when I can go to my favorite Facebook groups and ask noob questions?

Awesome to hear about the service history! My V was the same way, serviced its whole life at one dealership.

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

11. The Following User Says Thank You to harner For This Post:

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by harner View Post
    Who needs write-ups when I can go to my favorite Facebook groups and ask noob questions?

Awesome to hear about the service history! My V was the same way, serviced its whole life at one dealership.
    I get ya, but those facebook groups bring out the worst of the worst too. At least you can mitigate that on a forum.

Turbo is off! Actually had no problems removing it. Worst thing was three exhaust studs came out with the nuts. Surprised how painless the removal was considering the mileage.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

All back together.

Going to do the start tomorrow. Hoping for no issues and to make it driveable for a little while until the clutch goes. Praying the rusted over brakes aren't fried because according to records they were brand new late last year when the car stopped being driven and sat until I bought it.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

It lives!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbird For This Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast