Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Kenneth
    Vehicle
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Default 1997 Trans Am Dies - 2 Part question about issues and then upgrades

Gents,

I am in need of some help to diagnose some trouble I'm having with my 97' LT1
    Car has 41,xxx miles, original opti and water pump

Mods:
    Hooker Long Tubes, Y-Pipe, Borla Exhaust
    CIA kit, Trick Flow Elbow, Stock MAF and Throttle Body
    AIR and EGR delete
    1.6 Crane roller rockers
    MSD Ignition and Coil
    Plugs and MSD wires probably 8 years ago
    Host of BMR suspension
    Stock 4L60E, with trans cooler, Vigilante 3200 converter
    10-bolt with Eaton posi and 3.73

Part 1:

I drive the car very sparingly with my young boys taking much of my time. Anyway, took the car for Illinois emissions test and the car was running on the highway for 20 minutes and idling in the parking lot for 10. Go to pull into the lane and it dies. It happens a lot from idle that the motor will stumble and die. It took many tries to fire again. Pull into test bay, test, and pass emissions. Then the car wouldn't fire again, I had to push it out of the lanes. I waited 5 minutes or so and then it fired and I went right home and parked it. Alomst identical issue happened in 2016 except I was at the gas station after emissions testing and the exact same stumbling happened.

A few times in years past I thought it might be a fuel issue if there wasn't enough gas or something got clogged. I should check my fuel filter, but again, I maybe put 200-300 miles on the car per year. It always gets stabil in the fall, and I run enough gas out of it in the Spring to fill with fresh premium gas. I have a fuel pressure gauge on the rail, but havent looked into specific issues yet.

A buddy who is a mechanic and also had some built up LT1 cars suggested that maybe the Opti is dying, especially with the MSD box on the car. Is there anything I can do to eliminate potential issues while tracking this down?

Part 2:
    I said to myself if there is an Opti issue, when replacing, why not throw a cam in there like you always wanted? I have stock heads and always wanted to put a cam in there and see if 11.99 was possible with my mods. Either way I don't have the funds for a H/C combo right now. I settled on a CC503 cam based on the readings of it being one of the larger off the shelf cams you can run with stock heads. Mind you, I'd like a nice lope and increase in power, I'm not into racing much anymore, just want an enjoyable car to dive around that sounds a little meaner. I don't want to rev 6,500 rpms or blow up my tranny etc.

I started with a laundry list of items:
    MSD Billet Opti (OUT) Look for Delco Replacement
    Camshaft
    Pro-Mag Rocker arms (NSA)
    ARP rocker studs
    Valvesprings
    Guideplates
    Pushrods
    Lifters
    New Timing chain
    Plugs
    Fuel filter
    Associated gaskets fluids etc
    Dyno tune

Some items I'm on the fence about and would like suggestions on if the upgrade is truly needed to support the cc503 cam:
    Racetronix fuel pump upgrade??
    52mm throttle body??
    Bigger fuel injectors??

I don't want to spend money to just bolt on another part at this time. If it's truly needed to support the bigger cam, I'm fine with that.

Thanks!
    Ken

12118612_1055116144499012_5764608904665669105_n.jpg
    Last edited by TAMELESSTGR; 06-28-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

What's sounds like ICM maybe when my opi went car would idle just miss like hell above 4000

It's not how fast you mow. It's how you mow fast.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Kenneth
    Vehicle
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

No missing or stumbling 1,000 rpm to redline.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Heat soak can affect the ICM, the optical module in the Opti, or even the fuel pump.

Next time it won't fire, check your fuel pressure gauge. Have you scanned it for codes? There are fatal codes (like low res pulse loss from the Opti) that don't turn on the SES light.

Hold off on a new MSD Opti. They indicate the have resolved an endemic problem with their optical module, and we are waiting for feedback from people who had their defective units replaced.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Kenneth
    Vehicle
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

I read that thread today about the MSD units. Thanks for the tips, I'll look into those items.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Sounds like the ICM to me...Mine did it in OC Crusin' traffic about 3 years ago. Running fine then nothing...let it cool for and hour and fired right up and drove for over an 1 1/2 hours home. Replaced spaced and replaced the ICM and no issues till I removed it this year for good.

Racetronix w/ hotwire kit is always a good way to go.
    52mm TB...ehh, if you get one cheap then ok but you'll not be even close to maxing out the stock unit on a 503.
    I'm running 30# SVO injectors but the 36# GTP injectors can be had cheap.
    A EWP or a new delco water pump would be a good bet.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    Kenneth
    Vehicle
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks, I've been reading up on the ICM, sure sounds like that's the issue I'm experiencing. Thanks for the advice on the pump, TB and injectors. Any chance you might have an idea on the part number for injectors?

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Injectors and fuel pump are not necessary for a cam swap.
    52mm throttle body will also be a waste.

Ive ran Self Align rockers before with the 503 cam and had NO issues with them and I beat the hell out of that car.
    But others suggest SA rockers and theres only maybe $100 savings there.

Only other thing is your car is a 97 so tuning might be an issue without swapping to OBD1