Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro z28

Default Replacing Early '94 Low Oil Sensor

Hey guys I have a 1994 Z28 with the early style oil pressure sensor located directly above the oil filter. I guess I bumped it while changing the #4 spark plug because my oil pressure gauge quit working. I went back under to check it, and the sensor basically broke in half in my hand. It's still screwed into the block, it's just the connector part that broke off. So I let it idle for awhile and checked to make sure it was safe, and never had an issue. Then I drove it for about a week. But now a week later, it's leaking oil badly.

So I want to replace the sensor, but I've never replaced one before. I just wanted to ask, do I need to drain the oil pan before replacing it or will oil not pour out of it since the engine won't be running? And lastly, do I need any special tools to replace it? I only have stock manifolds so it's easy to get to but I've read of other guys having problems getting it in because of header location and how close the sensor is to the frame of the car. Just looking to make this a quick, painless job. Any advice would be great, thanks

Edited: Oil PRESSURE sensor, not low oil lol. Thanks Shbox
    Last edited by FastLT1; 06-21-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    1996 Camaro Z28-Built engine project car
    1994 Camaro Z28-Bolt on project car

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by FastLT1 View Post
    Hey guys I have a 1994 Z28 with the early style low oil level sensor located directly above the oil filter. I guess I bumped it while changing the #4 spark plug because my oil pressure gauge quit working. I went back under to check it, and the sensor basically broke in half in my hand. It's still screwed into the block, it's just the connector part that broke off. So I let it idle for awhile and checked to make sure it was safe, and never had an issue. Then I drove it for about a week. But now a week later, it's leaking oil badly.

So I want to replace the sensor, but I've never replaced one before. I just wanted to ask, do I need to drain the oil pan before replacing it or will oil not pour out of it since the engine won't be running? And lastly, do I need any special tools to replace it? I only have stock manifolds so it's easy to get to but I've read of other guys having problems getting it in because of header location and how close the sensor is to the frame of the car. Just looking to make this a quick, painless job. Any advice would be great, thanks
    channel locks, that's pretty much it. it sucks either way. easier with manifolds. just make sure U get the right one. there's two part numbers, ones the late style obviously. which most part stores have. the early usually has to be ordered.

oil won't squirt out. it's a pressure port off the pump, not in the pan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status

Just to clarify, it is the oil pressure sensor-not low oil (level) sensor.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shbox For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by shbox View Post
    I love when you randomly show up hahahhaha. thank you man, without your site I wouldn't know anything about these cars

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    1996 Camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by shbox View Post
    Thanks sorry, as I was typing, I was just picturing that low oil light that saved me earlier on a 40 mile drive lol longest drive the car has been on since I bought it back in November since I've been fixing so much crap.

But yeah I had to order the sensor because they didn't have the early style in stock. So I'll get it tomorrow
    1996 Camaro Z28-Built engine project car
    1994 Camaro Z28-Bolt on project car

Lurker

Status

Yeah, I am kind of random these days.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shbox For This Post: