Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Lurker

Status

Default 15w40 for track day? Or stick with plain 5w30?

I'm going to another track day in July and temps will be over 100 possibly 110. I ran 5w30 dino oil last time but that was in december and it was ~60 all day. I'm wondering if anyone changes their oil to a thicker weight when hot lapping on the autocross. I have easy access to the 15w40 through work and have it my sbc powered boat that seems to like it in the hot temps. Just looking for experience from others.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoneyZ View Post
    I'm going to another track day in July and temps will be over 100 possibly 110. I ran 5w30 dino oil last time but that was in december and it was ~60 all day. I'm wondering if anyone changes their oil to a thicker weight when hot lapping on the autocross. I have easy access to the 15w40 through work and have it my sbc powered boat that seems to like it in the hot temps. Just looking for experience from others.
    run synthetic, just not Mobil 1. id just run 10w30

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

If motor is not built for thick oil you may just generate more heat than you had before.

I would stick with a good synthetic and monitor oil temps.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Yep I agree. but single grade is better IMO multi weightis for daily driving as you'll see more temp variations but for hard use like racing and marine Id use single grade 30w or 40w if you can find it I use 30 weight Mobil 1 cause that's what's in there. I was taught to never mix oil. If changed often.
    Last edited by Stormyweather; 06-26-2017 at 12:17 PM.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock