Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    InActive Member

Status
    Name
    bill
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro z28

Default cutout Vs my flowmaster = slower, other questions also

I have a 1995 lt1 camaro a4 with a yank 3200 stall, 3.73 gear, long tube headers, y pipe no cats and 3in exhaust. So my 3in exhaust was complimented with a flowmaster 80 series, I was reading that flowmaster doesn't flow well and lots of guys get a cutout so I figured why not I'll get a cut out. So I installed the cutout and went for a ride and the car felt a little sluggish like I lost torque. I'm thinking what... 🙄 top end seems the same. I have the cutout placed after the y pipe by the rear passenger seat area, if anything I thought it would feel faster since air isn't flowing through all those bent pipes and the chambered flows. Before the cutout the car ran 13.4 @ 101 with a 1.8 60 no time with the cutout yet. Now I'm thinking about closing the cutout but feel like that will also hurt performance because of the turbulence from the cutout being closed. now I'm thinking of getting a new 3in pipe all together 😔 I hear cut outs do well with stock exhaust but mines so open.. does anyone have dyno proof of my setup with a cutout improving their times? Looking for opinions

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crizzled; 06-18-2017 at 01:07 PM.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Run it at the track. Don't forget to correct for density altitude. All the noise the cutout makes at even low throttle opening could affect your SOTP perception of power..... lot's of noise but no "go". Maybe enough noise to affect the knock sensor?????
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

only one way to find out and that's the track. my guess is you will not see any significant gains or losses
    94 Z28 - 396 - TH400 - 9in - SLOW

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

a T or Y like that in a pipe run will always kill flow, My guess is that there is a big flow vortice at the point between the branch (open) and the run (regular exhaust side) also the flow area is growing inside the cutout so you will see a drop in flow velocity, both of which are killing your low end
    97 Trans Am WS6, LT1 factory 4bolt freak, M6,
    68 Firebird 400, YC 400, 670 heads M4
    14 Fiat 500e
    , 83kW motor, 24kWh 364 V battery

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Run it at the track. Don't forget to correct for density altitude. All the noise the cutout makes at even low throttle opening could affect your SOTP perception of power..... lot's of noise but no "go". Maybe enough noise to affect the knock sensor?????
    This is exactly what I was going to say. Run it at the track. More noise affects your perception on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    bill
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro z28

Okay guys so tomorrow I'm getting the car dyno tuned. I talked to the tuner he said we'll do pulls without and with the cutout to see which gives better performance, cutout or flow master 80 series. Stay tuned 😎

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crizzled For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris P. Bacon
    Vehicle
    1994 Firebird Formula

They usually kill low end but will make more top end. I had a e-cutout on a 3800 in a GTP and it picked up 10whp top in in a 375whp car. At the track launch with it closed and open it after a few hundred feet.

'94 Formula 6spd
    If you come across a cobra in the wild, wipe it off and apologize.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crizzled View Post
    Okay guys so tomorrow I'm getting the car dyno tuned. I talked to the tuner he said we'll do pulls without and with the cutout to see which gives better performance, cutout or flow master 80 series. Stay tuned 😎

cutout will give better. flowmaster mufflers are choke points...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

#maibackpressureisgone #ohnoez
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    bill
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro z28

Well guys went in for my dyno tune today and... he couldn't get into my pcm 😞 he said usually there is never a problem getting into obd1 lt1s and he thinks pcm May of been locked. He asked me to drop it off this weekend and worst case I'll need a different pcm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast