Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lurker

Status

If I understand your further explanation that the motor will not even turn over, to me that would not involve opti, ICM or coil.

Either ignition switch or starter (not in that order)

given your further notes on short battery life, I would look carefully at the battery cables. If original they have long outlived their intended service

Starters can, as noted, fatigue in the windings and solenoid so starter could be suspect. Many, including me, got the "corvette" starter at Autozone. Lighter and cheaper than the stock one and is a "gear reduction" type starter
    96 BBB 383/T56

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Javier
    Vehicle
    1997 Trans Am WS6

after I installed long tubes on my car I had hot restart problems, installed a heat shield on the starter and it would start fine after that.

I think the hot restart issue could be that, but I am curious why it died on you in the first place.

As Injuneer stated, it could be a "pending" or soft code in the computer, it will be in the memory but will not trigger the check engine light but a scanner can read it.
    97 Trans Am WS6, LT1 factory 4bolt freak, M6,
    68 Firebird 400, YC 400, 670 heads M4
    14 Fiat 500e
    , 83kW motor, 24kWh 364 V battery

LTX Master

Status

The headers have been on longer than any other part and I never had a hot restart issue so I don't think thats it. A starter can't turn the motor off when it heats up can it? I may do the starter as well though, I assume I would ask for a vette starter of the same 95 year?

Battery cables are original afaik. I've owned it since about 05 and never did them. I have been looking into doing the "big 3 mod" especially since I've had an aftermarket stereo for many years as well. Figured it won't hurt.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 95z28man View Post
    I havent had a chance to go out and test anything yet but I remembered a piece of info that may or may not help narrow it. For the past couple years, I have gone through batteries a few times. I thought I had a possible draw somewhere til the last battery I bought seemed to stay good for a while even not being started frequently. It got to the point especially in colder temps that I required a jump just to start my car and let it run for a while every couple days. It occassinally happened overnight even. I attributed this to the cold though. This last battery was holding very well even letting the car sit up to 2 weeks without starting it would fire right up. Then randomly it wouldn't crank, turn over or attempt to start at all. I jumped it and kept it going up until it shut down driving. I'm wondering if it's related.
    On a side note, I looked at coils, ICM, ignition switch from ACdelco and after seeing the prices, I think I will dumb down to being a "parts swapper" on them. I'll still test them afterwards but for the price and doing the work myself, I see it as insurance for the future. 10+ years on all these parts with the heat issues I've read about is enough to make me comfortable replacing them as a precaution... hopefully I don't get crap parts from ACdelco.
    I've looked through the entire thread and it seems your going way in depth on the problem; Have you load tested the battery yet? You said it clicks but you have radio and things. Those will still work way after the battery is drained past the starting point.
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

The headers have been on longer than any other part and I never had a hot restart issue so I don't think thats it. A starter can't turn the motor off when it heats up can it? I may do the starter as well though, I assume I would ask for a vette starter of the same 95 year?

Battery cables are original afaik. I've owned it since about 05 and never did them. I have been looking into doing the "big 3 mod" especially since I've had an aftermarket stereo for many years as well. Figured it won't hurt.
    as @Ltconvert can attest, I had a hot restart issue on my first 94, which ended up being ignition switch under the dash on the column, wouldn't send enough to starter, just one click and that's it would not crank. also with my current 94 I had original battery cables that when they would get hot from the headers would not flow enough juice to the starter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTX Master

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    I've looked through the entire thread and it seems your going way in depth on the problem; Have you load tested the battery yet? You said it clicks but you have radio and things. Those will still work way after the battery is drained past the starting point.
    I have not tested the battery. The way it shut off while driving just made me not even think it could be battery related since once the car is running you essentially don't even need the battery. It did click a few times on attempts to restart but after a few attempts nothing really happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    as @Ltconvert can attest, I had a hot restart issue on my first 94, which ended up being ignition switch under the dash on the column, wouldn't send enough to starter, just one click and that's it would not crank. also with my current 94 I had original battery cables that when they would get hot from the headers would not flow enough juice to the starter

Another ignition switch huh... I am hoping that turns out to be it. Is there any known way to improve the life of these things? Just seems to be a very common issue that craps out randomly after a while leaving you stranded... kind of sucks lol. Almost makes me want to just swap a new one every 5-8 years or so as cheap insurance

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

I have not tested the battery. The way it shut off while driving just made me not even think it could be battery related since once the car is running you essentially don't even need the battery. It did click a few times on attempts to restart but after a few attempts nothing really happened.

Another ignition switch huh... I am hoping that turns out to be it. Is there any known way to improve the life of these things? Just seems to be a very common issue that craps out randomly after a while leaving you stranded... kind of sucks lol. Almost makes me want to just swap a new one every 5-8 years or so as cheap insurance
    are you changing the pigtail with it? I burned out 2 because of the pigtail being crispy. burnt wires = higher resistance. when I did the new pigtail I never had another issue.

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Hadn't thought of it, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. If I am going to be tearing into it, I want to tackle whatever else I can to provide some long term assurance. I have a shopping cart with summit right now full of ignition related parts, I will add the pigtail to that. Is it sold as an ignition switch pigtail or some other name? I'll search for it in the meantime.
    I had a hard time finding the pigtail, found one on gm parts direct. I forget the part number

2021 Charger Scat 392

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

have you in all this tryed a remote srarer switch. to isolate the switch. If the starter works then look elsware And if it the battery low you will know as well
    Last edited by Stormyweather; 06-17-2017 at 12:05 PM.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyweather View Post
    have you in all this tryed a remote srarer switch. to isolate the switch. If the starter works then look elsware
    ignition switch under dash on column is main power for starter and everything else, when it goes it intermittently cuts out one or other, or both when it melts

2021 Charger Scat 392

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast