Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by sseeya View Post
    I might be wrong, but I don't think a wolfe bolt in cage welded in place would be legal. If you read the rule book it says:

Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheeltubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch x 6-inch x .125-inch steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch bolts and nuts, or weld main hoop to rocker sill area with .125-inch reinforcing plates, with plates welded completely.

The reason I'm thinking it's not legal is because the Wolfe bolt in bar bolts to the floor down in the well behind the driver's seat, not up on the rocker sill area. I may be totally wrong on this, but I'd check it out before you weld it in place.

Also, I see you are in the Lehigh Valley area, do you have the roll bar already? If not, I have one I just took out of my car that I'm looking to sell. Only problem is it wont work with factory door covers.
    yes I live in the valley, but I have a bar already. I meant having the two rear seat down bars welded to the main hoop later is legal, as per wolfe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by sseeya View Post
    I might be wrong, but I don't think a wolfe bolt in cage welded in place would be legal. If you read the rule book it says:

Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheeltubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 6-inch x 6-inch x .125-inch steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 3/8-inch bolts and nuts, or weld main hoop to rocker sill area with .125-inch reinforcing plates, with plates welded completely.

The reason I'm thinking it's not legal is because the Wolfe bolt in bar bolts to the floor down in the well behind the driver's seat, not up on the rocker sill area. I may be totally wrong on this, but I'd check it out before you weld it in place.

Also, I see you are in the Lehigh Valley area, do you have the roll bar already? If not, I have one I just took out of my car that I'm looking to sell. Only problem is it wont work with factory door covers.
    what bar do you have? i think id like to keep my stock door panels as I have crank windows so they don't weigh anything

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Mike Glick
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS, 93 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    what bar do you have? i think id like to keep my stock door panels as I have crank windows so they don't weigh anything

The one I have is from Wolfe, but the door bars are straight instead of low slung since I was not running factory door covers.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I know this is not relevant to welding the rear supports to the hoop, but for future reference, the bolt-in kit moves the hoop uprights angled inwards, pretty much blocking the rear seat access. They do that so the bolt-in reinforcement plates fit on the floor. Their weld-in kit moves the uprights butted up against the rear interior panel. Not a Wolfe, but mine is welded per NHRA and is right up against the plastic rear seat side panels. Also requires a lot of "bend" in the sidebar to clear the Firebird door panels.

Not shown in the NHRA page I posted, if you have an aftermarket seat, the rear of the seat is supposed to be permanently braced to the crossbar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Mike Glick
    Vehicle
    1997 Camaro SS, 93 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    I know this is not relevant to welding the rear supports to the hoop, but for future reference, the bolt-in kit moves the hoop uprights angled inwards, pretty much blocking the rear seat access. They do that so the bolt-in reinforcement plates fit on the floor. Their weld-in kit moves the uprights butted up against the rear interior panel. Not a Wolfe, but mine is welded per NHRA and is right up against the plastic rear seat side panels. Also requires a lot of "bend" in the sidebar to clear the Firebird door panels.

Not shown in the NHRA page I posted, if you have an aftermarket seat, the rear of the seat is supposed to be permanently braced to the crossbar.
    That's what I was saying. When he talked about welding it later I thought he was talking about welding the whole thing in place. That was my mistake. I misunderstood what he was saying. I was just pointing out that welding in a Wolfe bolt in was probably not legal.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I understand completely.... I was only emphasizing the importance of what you posted for future users doing a "search".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

I can get a few measurements off mine, but its honestly I think the hoop will fight you if you try to move it past where it wants to sit naturally.

(You have the bar with the rear legs going straight over fuel tank area?)
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    I can get a few measurements off mine, but its honestly I think the hoop will fight you if you try to move it past where it wants to sit naturally.

(You have the bar with the rear legs going straight over fuel tank area?)
    yeah, the ones that go down to the flat area above gas tank. I wish it was the one that went to the wheel wells. I called wolfe and have the plates/bolts on the way. thanks.

2021 Charger Scat 392

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

well, the holes in my floor are where the main hoop will mount. shit.

2021 Charger Scat 392

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    well, the holes in my floor are where the main hoop will mount. shit.

Weld in (bigger) plates, and then drill.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast