Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: misfire

Hybrid View

Lurker

Status
    Name
    REVELATION
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro Z28

Default misfire

i have a 93 z28 lt1. it started idling rough and missing a little and smoking gray smoke and smells like gas but not a normal gas smell. it smells horrible. i had this car covered up behind my house and its sat up for 2 years. i started it up the other day and it ran fine. but today it started the gray gassy smokin and idling rough.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Only at idle? First thing I would check is the fuel pressure regulator.
    Next thing I would check would be the air filter, if its been sitting that long you could have some unwanted items in the intake air box.
    Is the gas 2 years old? Stuck injectors?
    After that the list gets really long because it could be almost anything.

But there are some much more knowledgeable LT1 guys on here than me so maybe they will chime in.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    REVELATION
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro Z28

optispark i found out today after it got worse. only firing on some of the cylinders

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Dan H
    Vehicle
    1995 LT1 Caprice

E10/E15 (what 99% of stations provide now) degrades much faster than the pure-gas of old. It really only has a shelf-life of 2-3 months before it starts to go bad and gum things up. Hell, even pure gas would have long gone bad at two years. I'd start by draining the tank, flushing it, and pray that the sock on the pump isn't a mass of goo. Using new fuel, disconnect the fuel filter and toss it. Leave it disconnected. With the tank cleaned and the pump re-installed, put a fuel-hose on the open line that was connected to the filter. Turn the key to acc and have the pump push new/good fuel through the line until its free of debris. Install new filter. Disconnect fuel line at the rail, and repeat the process of flushing the line at the rail. Remove the rail and pull off all the injectors and have them cleaned out, or replace them with known good units. While the injectors are out, flush the rail with clean fuel. Change the oil. Change the plugs. Check the air filter. Crank it over and report back.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    REVELATION
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadan View Post
    E10/E15 (what 99% of stations provide now) degrades much faster than the pure-gas of old. It really only has a shelf-life of 2-3 months before it starts to go bad and gum things up. Hell, even pure gas would have long gone bad at two years. I'd start by draining the tank, flushing it, and pray that the sock on the pump isn't a mass of goo. Using new fuel, disconnect the fuel filter and toss it. Leave it disconnected. With the tank cleaned and the pump re-installed, put a fuel-hose on the open line that was connected to the filter. Turn the key to acc and have the pump push new/good fuel through the line until its free of debris. Install new filter. Disconnect fuel line at the rail, and repeat the process of flushing the line at the rail. Remove the rail and pull off all the injectors and have them cleaned out, or replace them with known good units. While the injectors are out, flush the rail with clean fuel. Change the oil. Change the plugs. Check the air filter. Crank it over and report back.
    I found out today after it finally died. the optispark is shot. no fire coming from the optispark. that why all the missfiring had been going on.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    REVELATION
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro Z28

it was the optispark, was firing on just a few cylinders

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

use the prime connector to activate the pump and drain the tank into a gas can by removing filter. otherwise you're gonna be cycling that key a million times priming to drain it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Well no surprise there either.
    You can buy a decent unit from summit for around $150 I think. I just bought one I'll have to check.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    REVELATION
    Vehicle
    1995 camaro Z28

it was very weird the way it went out. it went out and the whole driver side wasnt firing and barely on the passenger. i found one at autozone
    $149. but the question is...are they of good quality? lol

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast