Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Default Help with DTC 42. Ignition Control Circuit (Grounded Circuit)

Looking to see if anyone has a GM service manual for a 95 Camaro. I'm in need of a copy of a couple pages that walks you thru diagnosing DTC 42. I have a 93 manual and wires are different color. I'm assuming flow chart may be different. Posting pictures below from my 93 manual so you'll know what I'm looking for. Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Found this wiring diagram online. But wire order on control module connector doesn't match my plug. See pictures. I assume the wire colors should match wiring diagram. I'm Still in need of a flow chart for a 95. 94 should be the same. Appreciate any help!
    Pink/black-White-Black-White/black.

Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle

Ok, I had a brain fart. Figured out the plug. Hence the A B C D. That the order of wires in plug. So that's correct. So I'm in need of the flow chart. Sorry for being so confusing. My brain is fried dealing with this car.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 1QUICKZ28 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Cameron
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula

I have the 94 FSM but I'm at work till 6a. I'll try to remember when I get home to look it up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2012 Sierra - 5.3, Summit "Stage 1" Truck Cam
    1994 Jimmy - LS? LT? 4wd? AWD? Time? Money?
    1994 Formula - 5.3, Terminator X, Billet VS7875, "Best Cam", T56, QP 9"
    Formula Build Thread

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara54 View Post
    I have the 94 FSM but I'm at work till 6a. I'll try to remember when I get home to look it up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Appreciate it. I just want to make sure something isn't different. I know 93's are kinda on their own.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Free download of 1995 F-Body factory service manual.

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums...2-wiring-diag/
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle

You the man!!! Thank you!

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle

Thanks for replying guys. Was able to figure out my problem. A+ for the LTX Family!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 1QUICKZ28 For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

What did you find? DTC 42 is one of the toughest codes to figure out. When people ask about it, I usually just send them or post a .pdf of the two manual pages. If I was on my PC, I would have just posted that, instead of the link to the manual, which takes a lot of scrolling.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle

Went thru the flow chart. Wasn't getting enough voltage at the white wire coming from the ECM. Took the black connector off of the ECM and cleaned the terminal with a large paper clip. Gently sliding the paper clip in and out of terminal so the edge of the clip would scrap the sides. Again very gentle as not to spread the terminal. Used a paint gun wire brush cleaning kit to clean male terminals on ECM. Again gently. Harbor freight sells them. They didn't appear bad but figured I would clean while I had them apart. Checked white wire with ohm meter set on sound to verify I had the right wire. Positive lead at control module plug white wire and neg lead at ECM plug white wire. Meter beeped so I knew I had the right wire. Put it all back together and had proper voltage. Started it up and still threw the code. So I was frustrated. After some thought I was like wait, I have power now, need to follow the chart for having power. Followed the flow chart for having proper voltage at the white wire and deemed the control module was bad. Had another one on a engine sitting in the garage. Installed and all is good. The flow chart really helps. A digital volt ohm meter is a must. When checking voltage on white wire from the ECM your meter has to be set on AC voltage. That was confusing to me.

So to sum it all up, I had two issues. Not getting proper voltage which turned out to be a connection issue at the ECM and then the control module was bad.

Thanks for the quick replies! Made my son happy to take it for a drive last night. Will have his car on the road soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast