Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Default Help! How can I read my codes - 95 Camaro 5.7 LT1 with OBD2 port

Looking for some help with reading codes on vehicle listed in title. Build date 5/95. Been doing some research trying to find a scanner and coming up empty. SES light is on and want to read what codes are set. Light was on when we bought it and we fixed some issues and deleted some items.

Here's what we did to it.

Long tube headers
    New O2 sensors
    All Emissions stuff deleted
    Traction control deleted
    ABS deleted
    Cold air intake
    New distributor and water pump
    Plugs and wires

Yes, dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. LOL

Fans where wired to a toggle switch. I hooked everything back up to factory harness. Fans turn on high as soon as I start the vehicle. Read where if SES is on it will trigger the computer to turn on fans. Can someone verify this?

Also, speedo isn't working so I would like to see if I'm getting a signal to the computer to rule out a bad speed sensor. Could be dash.

I know I need to get it tuned to turn all the emissions crap off. That will be done soon.

Is there any tool out there that will allow me to read the codes? Plus Read speed sensor and temp sensor?

Seems like this is the bastard year of the F-body LT1 world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

@Tubby Z28 can point u in the right direction. We were just discussimg this in the AM

Im not only an LTXtech member... Im also the Owner.

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    1993 Camaro Z28, 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew cab dually, 2005 GMC Yukon Denali

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    @Tubby Z28 can point u in the right direction. We were just discussimg this in the AM

Im not only an LTXtech member... Im also the Owner.
    Thanks Larry! I'll wait for him to chime in. Finally getting my sons car on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stock bottom end, Impala head gaskets, Stock heads w/stage 2 port polish Comp beehive springs, Crane 1.6 RR's, Thunder Racing cam, Cloyes Billet True Roller TC, Long tubes, custom true dual 3" w/X-pipe, Ported intake with 58mm TB, 36lb injectors, PCMforless chip, Tick Performance stage 3 M6, Strange S60 4:10's True Trac 35 spline axles, MSD complete Ignition system, Summit electric water pump and a ton of other upgrades.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Any old Auto X-ray OBD-1 scanner. Add a 12 pin -> 16 pin adapter, or use jumper wires:

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg

OR

Download free Scan9495 software, get a 16 pin cable. Not only can you pull codes, you can run a data log to help track down problems.

Courtesy of GaryDoug (a member here)

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums...495-lt1-obd-1/

I can interpret the data log if you need help.

OR

Actron CP9185 combo OBD-1/OBD-2 scanner. Comes with correct 16 pin cable. Low as $74 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9185.../dp/B000T8UG52

Avoid Innova and Equus dual OBD-1/OBD-2 scanners. Their database for the OBD-1 LT1 codes is corrupt and returns a series of seven false codes on PCM's without codes.
    Last edited by Injuneer; 05-06-2017 at 08:20 PM.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

VIP Member

Status
    Name
    Mark
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    Any old Auto X-ray OBD-1 scanner. Add a 12 pin -> 16 pin adapter, or use jumper wires:

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg

OR

Download free Scan9495 software, get a 16 pin cable. Not only can you pull codes, you can run a data log to help track down problems.

Courtesy of GaryDoug (a member here)

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums...495-lt1-obd-1/

I can interpret the data log if you need help.

OR

Actron CP9185 combo OBD-1/OBD-2 scanner. Comes with correct 16 pin cable. Low as $74 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9185.../dp/B000T8UG52

Avoid Innova and Equus dual OBD-1/OBD-2 scanners. Their database for the OBD-1 LT1 codes is corrupt and returns a series of seven false codes on PCM's without codes.
    Thanks for all the info.

Think I'll go with the Actron. I've seen they have some better options now. I have an Autel scanner now but it only does 96 and up OBD2. May sell it if I like the Actron. Looking at the CP9690. Comes with both cables. That way I can read my 93 also. I also have the Jet program but it's for 96 and up also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Gary
    Vehicle
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1QUICKZ28 View Post
    Looking at the CP9690. Comes with both cables. That way I can read my 93 also.
    Bad idea. For only about $30 more, you can get a CP9127 OBD1 cable for the CP9185 that can allow reading your 93. Waaaayyy cheaper and works just as well.

1998 Trans Am - LS1/A4 - all stock and almost all original - one owner - driven daily.
    Author of Scan9495, free pc apps 93-95 LT1,94/95 L32: http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...light=scan9495

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryDoug For This Post: