Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    InActive Member

Status
    Name
    N/A
    Vehicle
    C4 Corvette

Thanks again guys.

And I'll let you know popo8. Thanks for the heads up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pushrodv8 For This Post:

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    N/A
    Vehicle
    C4 Corvette

Would you guys be able to look at my rotating assembly, I see coolant mixed with oil. I am seeing white discoloration on the bottom of the pistons as well as white spots on the crank.

also, I see wear pattern from the lifters on the cam, is this normal?

This is my first real tear down, so I want to double check. This motor is filthy, is coming apart and getting cleaned at a machine shop. The owner appears to have mixed coolant as the passages are gunked up. 140,000 miles.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by pushrodv8 View Post
    Would you guys be able to look at my rotating assembly, I see coolant mixed with oil. I am seeing white discoloration on the bottom of the pistons as well as white spots on the crank.

also, I see wear pattern from the lifters on the cam, is this normal?

This is my first real tear down, so I want to double check. This motor is filthy, is coming apart and getting cleaned at a machine shop. The owner appears to have mixed coolant as the passages are gunked up. 140,000 miles.

looks like an lt1 with condensation in the oil that sits alot. also, don't be surprised with gunked up coolant passages, dexcool turns to shit after 20 years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    N/A
    Vehicle
    C4 Corvette

yeah the car did sit from what I gathered from the previous owner but I paid like $1500 bucks for an immaculate body + rebuilt trans and a car that drove fine but was just tired, so I can't complain.

Is that cam wear pattern normal? I guess it really doesn't matter cam and valve train is getting replaced.

yeah the car did sit from what I gathered from the previous owner but I paid like $1500 bucks for an immaculate body + rebuilt trans and a car that drove fine but was just tired, so I can't complain.

Is that cam wear pattern normal? I guess it really doesn't matter cam and valve train is getting replaced.
    If the wheels and lifter bodies look ok, I would say your cam is normal for a cast cam with that many miles.

Like you said, its being replaced so don't worry to much.

I would def advise a solid hot tank cleaning of that block.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

as long as none of the rollers or lobes are flat it's fine. I think all the stock cams I've ever removed with 100+k miles looked like that.. that motor looks better than most I've assembled LOL

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

InActive Member

Status
    Name
    N/A
    Vehicle
    C4 Corvette

yeah, I have wicked OCD, so I want this baby clean. I have already cleaned the engine bay of all gunk

My only other concern is all the various block plugs and bolt sizes matched to their location, will the factory service manual list bolt size location(which bolt goes where) for things like the oil pan or heads? I did my best to label and take notes but I want to double check.

Thanks again for all the help, this is a big under taking as it's my first engine tear down but it's going well so far.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

yeah, I have wicked OCD, so I want this baby clean. I have already cleaned the engine bay of all gunk

My only other concern is all the various block plugs and bolt sizes matched to their location, will the factory service manual list bolt size location(which bolt goes where) for things like the oil pan or heads? I did my best to label and take notes but I want to double check.

Thanks again for all the help, this is a big under taking as it's my first engine tear down but it's going well so far.
    shbox.com fastener torque matrix will be your friend. there aren't too many different bolts on the motor. it's not bad man. you'll get it.

make cardboard stencils of things, label directions and punch holes to hold bolts. like oil pan, intake, etc. makes life easy. biggest fear for me was putting rod caps on facing correct direction, and putting a 2nd ring in upside down on cyl 4. but I had a doubt, took piston back out, double checked, reinstalled. just TAKE YOUR TIME, do not rush

2021 Charger Scat 392

And accept you will have a pile of bolts at the end with no home. Chalk it up to weight reduction.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    And accept you will have a pile of bolts at the end with no home. Chalk it up to weight reduction.
    *becauseracevette

2021 Charger Scat 392

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234