Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
Mickelson-Horizontal

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    LTX Member


    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Name
    Rob
    Vehicle
    1994 C4 Corvette
    Posts
    14

    Default Help me blow my budget on my C4!

    So I need help maximizing my budget to benefit the car the most. I have an automatic 94 C4 LT1

    I have long tube headers already, running a true dual with x-pipe. I -will- need new gears, my 94 came with 2.90(95?) gearing. I want to be able to keep the dana 36(will up to 44 if the car ever needs it), I don't plan on running slicks. This will be a fun car to drive to work on different nights/weekend car.

    I like an aggressive cam, as long as it benefits the build and doesn't take away. Ultimately performance > sound.

    I can do all the build myself minus any machine work, may or may not try changing the gears in the rear end myself.


    I have a total of $3500 to spend on motor/gears. If you had my car, and my budget. How would you maximize budget to squeeze out the most horsepower?

    Thanks for your time!

  2. #2
    LTX Regular


    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Name
    Weston Ketner
    Vehicle
    1988 Fiero Formula
    Location
    Herndon, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    331

    Default

    What kinda rwhp are you trying to accomplish?

    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to kitt8090 For This Post:


  4. #3
    LTX Member


    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Name
    Rob
    Vehicle
    1994 C4 Corvette
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I don't know if this is helpful, but whatever I can squeeze out with this budget. While I can do the work, I am still learning what is, and isn't possible with this motor and different combinations, so I would be completely uninformed.

    Is 500 wheel out of the realm of possibility? or is that running the risk of damaging the trans/rear end?

  5. #4
    LTX Member


    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Name
    Chaz
    Vehicle
    1995 Camaro Z28
    Posts
    77

    Default

    500 wheel horse is hard NA with lt1 or ls1,$3500 wont get you anywhere near it unless you go with nitrous, but you would be on borrowed time before the engine/ tranny went to spray as much to get to 500rwhp.
    you are going to need a converter when you get a cam so budget for that, (ive never had a auto so i cant give you details but im guessing around $1000 for a good one, assuming you install it yourself, like i said im not completely sure how much or who makes good ones, but you will need a converter regardless) you can go cam only but its best to get ported heads and intake, but not neccesary with a cam, if you go cam only you will need lifters and pushrods, there is a couple/few hundred bucks depending on what kind you get. good set of gears is few hundred, another few hundred to have someone install it, of course that price varies depending on shop. llyod elliot is a member here as well an lt1 guru he shoud be able to tell you exactly what you need for your goals.
    In summary, i think just a cam, lifters, rods, converter, gears, more than likely injectors and fuel pump, and a tune, misc gaskets and fluids, budget for little shit you may break, can possibly be done for $3500 bucks. you'll be looking at aroud 330-375 rwhp with a cam only build

  6. #5
    Xtreme Member


    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChazWhiteZ28- View Post
    500 wheel horse is hard NA with lt1 or ls1,$3500 wont get you anywhere near it unless you go with nitrous, but you would be on borrowed time before the engine/ tranny went to spray as much to get to 500rwhp.
    you are going to need a converter when you get a cam so budget for that, (ive never had a auto so i cant give you details but im guessing around $1000 for a good one, assuming you install it yourself, like i said im not completely sure how much or who makes good ones, but you will need a converter regardless) you can go cam only but its best to get ported heads and intake, but not neccesary with a cam, if you go cam only you will need lifters and pushrods, there is a couple/few hundred bucks depending on what kind you get. good set of gears is few hundred, another few hundred to have someone install it, of course that price varies depending on shop. llyod elliot is a member here as well an lt1 guru he shoud be able to tell you exactly what you need for your goals.
    In summary, i think just a cam, lifters, rods, converter, gears, more than likely injectors and fuel pump, and a tune, misc gaskets and fluids, budget for little shit you may break, can possibly be done for $3500 bucks. you'll be looking at aroud 330-375 rwhp with a cam only build
    list: @pushrodv8

    LE2 heads - $1200
    LE cam - $300
    1.6 rockers - $250
    guideplates - $50
    pushrods - $100
    PROTORQUE B29SS converter - $350
    Cahall Performance trans - $1000-1400 pending performance or race build
    injectors - $100+ pending new/used
    TUNE - $-$$-$$$ pending what you get.

    this is a simple list that works well for a fun street car. id be a dick and leave the gears highwayish for a bit because you will have less chance of blowing the tires off initially and just freight train thru 100+mph. I loved having a cammed lt1 with 2.73's. leave like a turtle then from 30+mph hold on.

    you will be anywhere from 360-380whp (stall will make it dyno a hair lower) with a proper tune, but the car will feel/be alot quicker than that. all depends on how much you are willing to spin the stock bottom end vs longevity and driveability

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tubby Z28; 04-20-2017 at 10:53 PM.
    1994 Z28 T56 - Le2 H/C, SBE, Hooker lt's, some rod ended suspension stuff, and a whole lotta tetanus
    The wrench for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE2 H/C P600B/ CPT Pro Race/Pro Torque 3200

  7. #6
    LTX Member


    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Name
    Rob
    Vehicle
    1994 C4 Corvette
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Thanks guys, I should probably mention that I need to rebuild the motor at this point as well. 140,000 on the odo. I was going to do new bearings, as long as pistons/rods/crank looked ok. I have the engine out to do headgaskets, and figured I was this close might as well refresh it.

    I like the Lloyd Elliot route, could I go forged bottom end, gears, all the valvetrain from LE AND add spray? How much borrowed time would the 4L60E be on while spraying?

    And $3500 is not a hard budget per say, if I needed to drop another $1000 that would not be out of the realm but I am going to try to stick to it as I have plans for a C5 in the future.
    Last edited by pushrodv8; 04-21-2017 at 02:06 AM.

  8. #7
    Xtreme Member


    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pushrodv8 View Post
    Thanks guys, I should probably mention that I need to rebuild the motor at this point as well. 140,000 on the odo. I was going to do new bearings, as long as pistons/rods/crank looked ok. I have the engine out to do headgaskets, and figured I was this close might as well refresh it.

    I like the Lloyd Elliot route, could I go forged bottom end, gears, all the valvetrain from LE AND add spray? How much borrowed time would the 4L60E be on while spraying?

    And $3500 is not a hard budget per say, if I needed to drop another $1000 that would not be out of the realm. I just don't want to outspend to the point I could have purchased a C5 lol
    forged components require rebalancing bottom end. id personally go the le route on a stock rebuild WITH a built trans and spray it, before building a forged bottom end. basically add $2k to your budget if not more if forging it

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    1994 Z28 T56 - Le2 H/C, SBE, Hooker lt's, some rod ended suspension stuff, and a whole lotta tetanus
    The wrench for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE2 H/C P600B/ CPT Pro Race/Pro Torque 3200

  9. #8
    LTX Member


    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Name
    Rob
    Vehicle
    1994 C4 Corvette
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Yeah, a stock rebuild sounds like the better option. I appreciate it, thank you

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to pushrodv8 For This Post:


  11. #9
    LTX Master


    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Name
    Johnny
    Vehicle
    1994 formula A4
    Location
    Henderson, TN
    Posts
    555

    Default

    I just went through this, honestly $3500 will get you a cam swap if the car is completely stock because you will also need headers/exhaust, new optispark, plugs, wires, gaskets , fluids, and replacing all the worn out crap belts hoses ECT. Like other posts have said whatever you think it will cost, you can pretty much double it by the time its all said and done.
    With that being said if I was spending the money to do a rebuild I would definitely find the cash to at least get the LE1 package from Loyld

    And like Tubby said if the trans hasnt been rebuilt you can add that in too.

  12. #10
    Xtreme Member


    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 camaro
    Location
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullforce View Post
    I just went through this, honestly $3500 will get you a cam swap if the car is completely stock because you will also need headers/exhaust, new optispark, plugs, wires, gaskets , fluids, and replacing all the worn out crap belts hoses ECT. Like other posts have said whatever you think it will cost, you can pretty much double it by the time its all said and done.
    With that being said if I was spending the money to do a rebuild I would definitely find the cash to at least get the LE1 package from Loyld

    And like Tubby said if the trans hasnt been rebuilt you can add that in too.
    it can be done for less if you're willing to look and find used parts/deals and stuff. or you have really good friends lol

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    1994 Z28 T56 - Le2 H/C, SBE, Hooker lt's, some rod ended suspension stuff, and a whole lotta tetanus
    The wrench for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE2 H/C P600B/ CPT Pro Race/Pro Torque 3200

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •