Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Alex Rauld
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am GT

Default TunerPro vs TunerCAT

I'm looking into learning more about tuning the PCM myself and was just wondering where everyone's preferences lay with regards to OBD1 tuning software. Obviously since TunerPro is free it's easy to lean that way, but I'm more interested in the more capable, easy to pick-up software. Just basically wondering the pro's and con's of both, seems like in my little experience in playing with both TunerCAT seems more intuitive, while TunerPro seems more modern.

Just wondering everyone's opinions, thanks.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by myltwon View Post
    I'm looking into learning more about tuning the PCM myself and was just wondering where everyone's preferences lay with regards to OBD1 tuning software. Obviously since TunerPro is free it's easy to lean that way, but I'm more interested in the more capable, easy to pick-up software. Just basically wondering the pro's and con's of both, seems like in my little experience in playing with both TunerCAT seems more intuitive, while TunerPro seems more modern.

Just wondering everyone's opinions, thanks.
    I have cats tuner and tunerpro rt. tunerpro rt seems to always have connectivity issues, but with the eex.xdf file there's alot you can do with it and I like it. has built in blm locker and logging capability. cats is my normal use one but I don't like that every time you change a file it unlocks the blms on next save, then you have to relock them before flashing using the wot locker which is a separate program.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike
    Vehicle
    96 Z28, 95 Roadmaster

I've never played with Tunercat but some of the built in features/calculators sound like they'd be helpful. I only use Tunerpro RT for the tuning aspect and have slowly learned my way around it the past few years, although the nomenclature and interaction between parameters can still be confusing at times. The basic EE definition has pretty much everything you'd need to get started. The compare feature and visual maps are super helpful but can be glitchy at times (especially when using the "difference" tool), but overall it is a great program that covers all bases. I've played with the datalogger once or twice with a dash I downloaded on LS1tech and wasn't crazy about it so I went back to Freescan and Scan9495. I'll have to try it again sometime.
    96Z M6, ERE-383 #60, AFR 210s, LE cam, 9", Procharger D1, ???whp
    95 Roadmaster T-56 swap, LE1s, baby cam, 4.56s, "The Cammaster"
    95 Firehawk hooptie, bolt-ons and suspension

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Catmaigne For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catmaigne View Post
    I've never played with Tunercat but some of the built in features/calculators sound like they'd be helpful. I only use Tunerpro RT for the tuning aspect and have slowly learned my way around it the past few years, although the nomenclature and interaction between parameters can still be confusing at times. The basic EE definition has pretty much everything you'd need to get started. The compare feature and visual maps are super helpful but can be glitchy at times (especially when using the "difference" tool), but overall it is a great program that covers all bases. I've played with the datalogger once or twice with a dash I downloaded on LS1tech and wasn't crazy about it so I went back to Freescan and Scan9495. I'll have to try it again sometime.
    I'm really starting to like scan9495 for logging. I especially like being able to actuate switches like fans etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!