Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle
    Silver 1996 Camaro Z28, Green 1996 Camaro Z28

Default LT1 T56 to LS or Mechanical

Anyone know how to convert the lt1 t56 to a ls1 style? Or the LT1 T56 to a mechanical clutch setup, co worker has a nova that got a 94 LT1 T56 and wants to run the T56 but is looking at how and I have no idea what all is required to do any of these setups. Thanks
    96 Camaro Z28 Silver Mostly Stock, Full Exhaust
    96 Camaro Z28 Green Big Cam, Quick Performance 9 Inch Rear End, Full Exhuast

Lurker

Status

Does he have an LS, LT1, or SBC engine? If it's LT1 or SBC, there's no reason to change anything, they have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. The LS are different in the face plate and input shaft, both of which must be changed, and the LS bellhousing is longer.

Can't help you with the mechanical linkage though, but I have seen retrofits that use the factory LT1-style hydraulics retrofitted. You might find more info over at a dedicated Nova site: http://www.stevesnovasite.com/

What year Nova? My Dad has a 71 Nova SS, but he's running an M22.
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

LT1 --> LS1 conversion kit:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ght...on-conversion/

Although as noted above, what engine is he trying to connect it to?
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

Lurker

Status
    Name
    Tommy N.
    Vehicle
    Silver 1996 Camaro Z28, Green 1996 Camaro Z28

Its a older mid 70's Nova it has a 4 Speed now that why he was asking about the mechanical since that is what he has now and its a SBC if I remember correct.
    96 Camaro Z28 Silver Mostly Stock, Full Exhaust
    96 Camaro Z28 Green Big Cam, Quick Performance 9 Inch Rear End, Full Exhuast

My recommendation would be keep the LT1 T56 slave cyl, find a gm clutch master that can easily be adapted to the nova firewall, get a set of AN adapters for the slave and master and run a braided brake line with AN fittings. this is how I did it on my blazer and it all worked out nicely.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to superspirit For This Post:

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

If you're bolting it to the Gen 1 SBC, why do you want to convert it to an LSx style? Neither would be easy to convert to a mechanical clutch. I would agree the LT1's oddball pull-back clutch means there is a very limited choice of clutches. Any sort of big HP may need the extremely expensive McLeod Street Twin. The LSx does use a conventional pusher clutch. But there's not even a fork for the TO bearing.

But either way, LT or LS, hydraulics is the simplest way to go.... as noted immediately above - just finding a space on the firewall for the master.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.