Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    "The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Default Since I consider you all family...

So my Chief just announced that we will be doing a rank promotion test coming up.

The position will be for 1 Corporal, and will include a small 3% raise.

My question is this... I love my job, and I love being a cops cop... with the guys, "runnin and gunnin."

We have never had official rank before, other than an OIC position that I have also held. Currently though its patrol and Chief, and the OFFICER IN CHARGE position only comes in to play when the Chief is unavailable.

So my question... do I throw my hat in the ring and become a supervisor to the same guys I currently work WITH. Iknow it will change things as I will become the "other side" who has to reprimand when people screw up.

Ill still have my current duties of patrol and investigations, as well as my specialty in accident reconstruction and juvenile abuse crimes...

I know Id rather it be me over some of the other guys i work with that I dont feel could cut the mustard... but at the same time... do I want to be alienated from being one of the guys...?

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    So my Chief just announced that we will be doing a rank promotion test coming up.

The position will be for 1 Corporal, and will include a small 3% raise.

My question is this... I love my job, and I love being a cops cop... with the guys, "runnin and gunnin."

We have never had official rank before, other than an OIC position that I have also held. Currently though its patrol and Chief, and the OFFICER IN CHARGE position only comes in to play when the Chief is unavailable.

So my question... do I throw my hat in the ring and become a supervisor to the same guys I currently work WITH. Iknow it will change things as I will become the "other side" who has to reprimand when people screw up.

Ill still have my current duties of patrol and investigations, as well as my specialty in accident reconstruction and juvenile abuse crimes...

I know Id rather it be me over some of the other guys i work with that I dont feel could cut the mustard... but at the same time... do I want to be alienated from being one of the guys...?

OWNER/ADMIN
    That's completely up to you man. I'd say go for it personally. How much does being "one of the guys" mean vs making sure things are done right. What if you don't throw your hat in the ring and a less qualified individual becomes the corporal, who then does not cut it, and doesn't do the job properly, how would that make you feel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

Go with you heart isnt that what is best. I do what I Do cause Love it. Do what your heart says. Thats my input man.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stormyweather; 03-25-2017 at 06:57 PM.

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stormyweather For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    1994 Trans Am

Leadership is what you make it. Some strive for the role, some are content doing what they are doing. This is a decision based on your career goals.

Where do you see yourself in 5, 10 years? Do you want to be chief? I doubt you'll be alienated based on your personality alone, but the title change could add responsibility that you may not be comfortable with.

My advice is to throw your hat on the ring and at least entertain the thought.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

1994 Trans Am Under the knife - but it's alive!!! (5.3 LM7/CPT 60e/QP 9") BUILD THREAD
    2009 G8 GXP M6, full exhaust, catch can, cai, stereo
    1975 Olds 98 455 burnout machine/panty dropper | 1985 C10 new project

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harner For This Post:

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    That's completely up to you man. I'd say go for it personally. How much does being "one of the guys" mean vs making sure things are done right. What if you don't throw your hat in the ring and a less qualified individual becomes the corporal, who then does not cut it, and doesn't do the job properly, how would that make you feel?

Great points... and as for being one of the guys. Cops are like a clique bunch of school girls. Ive seen it in other depts... friends got rank and all of the sudden they are "dicks" according to the guys that work under them. Visibly alienated...

OWNER/ADMIN

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

LTX Regular

Status
    Name
    Ernie
    Vehicle
    97 Mullet

I say throw your hat in to become a supervisor. I think you can still be one of the guys even while bring in the supervisor position. Granted some relationships will still probably change.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    355 LT1 Turbo, Ported TFS heads, LE Ported Intake, LE cam, 80lb inj, Dual pumps 340 & 320lph on e85, etc.....
    www.fquick.com/SleepyZ
    <font color=#ff0000>

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepy_z For This Post:

Founding Member

Status
    Name
    Jay
    Vehicle
    93 Ultra Z

I moved up past people that I worked with to end up supervising some of them. It has its drawbacks but in the end it was worth the move. The drawbacks were having to be the boss of former equals and having to measure their performance. It took me a while to personally feel comfortable to do that. In the end only 1 person was a dick and he left. Otherwise I am still friends with a few of my direct reports. I know you, you will do fine. You are a fair and genuine person. I say go for it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaysz2893 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Great points... and as for being one of the guys. Cops are like a clique bunch of school girls. Ive seen it in other depts... friends got rank and all of the sudden they are "dicks" according to the guys that work under them. Visibly alienated...

OWNER/ADMIN
    Would that bother you? Me personally, I've dealt with that for the 7 years so far of my career, and I really don't give a shit. 35 tech's broken down into high school cliques of 5-6 guys each that are all buddy buddy but back stab the others. I got pigeon holed and have been an outsider for a while, because I'll do shit right and call them on their bs. It doesn't really bother me anymore, your feelings may vary.

Union brothers, one will stab you in the back after shaking your hand in front.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    Would that bother you? Me personally, I've dealt with that for the 7 years so far of my career, and I really don't give a shit. 35 tech's broken down into high school cliques of 5-6 guys each that are all buddy buddy but back stab the others. I got pigeon holed and have been an outsider for a while, because I'll do shit right and call them on their bs. It doesn't really bother me anymore, your feelings may vary.

Union brothers, one will stab you in the back after shaking your hand in front.
    The reason it would bother me is only one. When ur not LIKED by the guys... backup always takes longer. Dont get me wrong... im used to working solo and I hardly ever call for back up... but then there is always that one time in the future...

OWNER/ADMIN

15. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

The reason it would bother me is only one. When ur not LIKED by the guys... backup always takes longer. Dont get me wrong... im used to working solo and I hardly ever call for back up... but then there is always that one time in the future...

OWNER/ADMIN
    But that's fucked up because that could be a life or death situation, and if something bad were to happen, I wouldn't want that weighing on my conscious, so that shows what kind of people they are

2021 Charger Scat 392

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast