Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
BP-Automotive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Britt
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Default 24x or Keep LTCC?

I know its 50-50 on here about keeping the opti spark or doing the LS ignition conversion but before I go ahead and spend 1K just wanted to see what some of you thought.. I already have the LTCC and 8 coils mounted. Did this a year ago and now opti is having issues again. This will be my third time replacing the opti, but my first replacing it with the LTCC. Mind you, the opti on the car now is a cheaper brand, rich porter. So, I have the option of getting a delco opti and pray that it doesn't fail since the LTCC theoretically should preserve its life or just spend the money and get rid of the opti all together and sell the LTCC. I am in South Florida and there is a lot of moisture in the air pretty much year round, which is a concern of mine too. Any opinions on this will be really appreciated. It's hard to come by anyone where I am that knows about these conversions.
    1994 Camaro Z28 l 5.7L V8 6-speed manual l 45K original miles l LT1 to LS1 coil conversion (LTCC) l Magnaflow Exhaust

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

Im a firm believer in the stock ignition system, as long as quality parts are installed. Even the remaned delco optis are, imo an excellent piece. All of my ltx cars have gotten the delco and i never looked back, even with the addition of an ignition box. Its up to u though as u know what resources u have around u. I feel that i have a great semi localntuner that does ltx vehicles as well as a talented mail order tuner in @MoeHorsePower . So it will be the opti life for me 4 eva...

Also let me say I dont just promote the delco opti without experience of other brands. Ive used accel, dynaspark, msd billet optis and nothing has been as quality and as reliable as the delco.

My applications range from totally stock lt1s, to heads and cam impala to a boosted and stroked camaro...

Just my 2c.

LTXtech.com IS my drug...
    OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to popo8 For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Put a Delco on there and have it last 200k now since it's just acting as a sensor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSlowBoat For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by camz2894 View Post
    I know its 50-50 on here about keeping the opti spark or doing the LS ignition conversion but before I go ahead and spend 1K just wanted to see what some of you thought.. I already have the LTCC and 8 coils mounted. Did this a year ago and now opti is having issues again. This will be my third time replacing the opti, but my first replacing it with the LTCC. Mind you, the opti on the car now is a cheaper brand, rich porter. So, I have the option of getting a delco opti and pray that it doesn't fail since the LTCC theoretically should preserve its life or just spend the money and get rid of the opti all together and sell the LTCC. I am in South Florida and there is a lot of moisture in the air pretty much year round, which is a concern of mine too. Any opinions on this will be really appreciated. It's hard to come by anyone where I am that knows about these conversions.
    Is it a spline drive unvented or a pin drive 95+ vented opti? I'd get a Delco and enjoy, it should last a very long time with no high voltage going thru it. Or get a Delco and put a msd cap on it and have it last 200k miles

2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Britt
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

It's spline drive, unvented unfortunately

I also may have issues with gas in oil.. when I changed the oil it was black and smelled like gas. Could be a number of possibilities but I'm wondering if when the ignition work was done the vacuum hoses were screwed with or could be a leaky gasket somewhere.. Car seems to run rich and exhaust frequently smells like gas. It probably does need a good tune as well.
    1994 Camaro Z28 l 5.7L V8 6-speed manual l 45K original miles l LT1 to LS1 coil conversion (LTCC) l Magnaflow Exhaust

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

It's spline drive, unvented unfortunately

I also may have issues with gas in oil.. when I changed the oil it was black and smelled like gas. Could be a number of possibilities but I'm wondering if when the ignition work was done the vacuum hoses were screwed with or could be a leaky gasket somewhere.. Car seems to run rich and exhaust frequently smells like gas. It probably does need a good tune as well.
    Tune, also do you run catch can? Have properly functioning pcv system? If it's too fat it'll wash rings and wipe the bearings out man.

Unvented, no biggie. Get msd cap which converts it to vented or diy vent it

2021 Charger Scat 392

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Britt
    Vehicle
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Z28 View Post
    Is it a spline drive unvented or a pin drive 95+ vented opti? I'd get a Delco and enjoy, it should last a very long time with no high voltage going thru it. Or get a Delco and put a msd cap on it and have it last 200k miles

I would put the msd cap on it but only issue would be the warranty voided

Lurker

Status
    Name
    6 speed Impy
    Vehicle
    1991 Z-28, 355, HSR, M6--2005 CTS-V (SOLD)--1994 Impala SS 6 Speed Swap--Have all blocks covered.

Quote Originally Posted by popo8 View Post
    Im a firm believer in the stock ignition system, as long as quality parts are installed. Even the remaned delco optis are, imo an excellent piece. All of my ltx cars have gotten the delco and i never looked back, even with the addition of an ignition box. Its up to u though as u know what resources u have around u. I feel that i have a great semi localntuner that does ltx vehicles as well as a talented mail order tuner in @MoeHorsePower . So it will be the opti life for me 4 eva...

Also let me say I dont just promote the delco opti without experience of other brands. Ive used accel, dynaspark, msd billet optis and nothing has been as quality and as reliable as the delco.

My applications range from totally stock lt1s, to heads and cam impala to a boosted and stroked camaro...

Just my 2c.

OWNER/ADMIN
    My AC Delco is working great, and now with a new fuel pump, it starts so soon I almost forget to get my hand off the starter, its that quick.

Mike

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 6 speed impy For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Mike Storm "Stormy"
    Vehicle
    1995 Trans Am
    Blog Entries

When my car ran rich. I mean rich exhaust and all. It was an injector stuck open. Check that out.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

1995 Trans Am - CAI - TB coolant bypass - Headers & Performance Muffler - Poly mounts - stock LT1/A4 - 13.3 1/4 - 1.9 60 foot , driven daily.
    2008 C6 Corvette LS3 Snake charmer Ram Air intake. 6 Speed Switchable mild to wild exhaust.
    2002 Silverado LT Extd Cab Z71 5.3 A4 Composite Bed Stock

"The Rock"

Status
    Name
    Popo
    Vehicle
    1996 Impala with the heart of the old camaro. 1993 Corvette..

I would put the msd cap on it but only issue would be the warranty voided
    Yeah... i wouldnt mess with a delco at all. Even my non vented applications are runnin strong.

OWNER/ADMIN

Our BIG MOMENT @ the 2012 LTXshootout

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521756391174175

1996 Camaro Z28: RIP 09/25/2016

1994 Trans Am GT: SOLD 05/2017

1985/1996GS clone: SOLD

1996 Impala SS H/C, LT, with true dual exhaust, 4.10s, lowered, with CPT trans, many cosmetic mods, and a whole lot more to come...

2002 Caddilac EscaladeL CAI, lowered, 6.0 , AWD..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast