Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    93 Bird

Default Baer 13" Track Brakes or CTSV setup

So after a couple years of ignoring my last 4th Gen. I started working on it again recently. I few years ago I bought a ton of parts for the underside of the car and never installed anything on the front end.

I have a brand new Baer 13" track front brake kit sitting around that I planned on using on the front of my Trans am. This is the older 2 piston setup based off of the HD C4 brakes. In the past few years these have been discontinued and most people run the more modern 4 piston CTSV brakes with 2010 camaro rotors.

I am running TSW Nurbugring 18x9 front wheels on the car and 18x10.5 on the rear with Hoosier A7's (probably switch these out for a more streetable tire). I was going to run 17x11's on all four corners but I got a hell of a deal on the more modern forged TSW wheels with tires. The car will be built for cruising and for the occasional track day at Brainerd, Blackhawk farms, and maybe Road America (maybe 2-3 times a year). I want the car to handle as best as I can within my means. I have all the cool UMI, Strano, and Koni parts under the car now.

My question, would I be giving up much braking power by staying with the original plan and using the Baer kit? I have more room now that I'm running 18's for the larger 2010 camaro discs. I figure I can sell the Baers easily enough and the CTSV setup would be about the same cost to me in the end. I have to admit, I do prefer the look of the Brembo calipers, but they do come with a weight penalty with the larger rotors. Thoughts?

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    93 Bird

Forgot to mention, the baer kit is the Track version NOT the track plus. Mine has 1pc rotors.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    So after a couple years of ignoring my last 4th Gen. I started working on it again recently. I few years ago I bought a ton of parts for the underside of the car and never installed anything on the front end.

I have a brand new Baer 13" track front brake kit sitting around that I planned on using on the front of my Trans am. This is the older 2 piston setup based off of the HD C4 brakes. In the past few years these have been discontinued and most people run the more modern 4 piston CTSV brakes with 2010 camaro rotors.

I am running TSW Nurbugring 18x9 front wheels on the car and 18x10.5 on the rear with Hoosier A7's (probably switch these out for a more streetable tire). I was going to run 17x11's on all four corners but I got a hell of a deal on the more modern forged TSW wheels with tires. The car will be built for cruising and for the occasional track day at Brainerd, Blackhawk farms, and maybe Road America (maybe 2-3 times a year). I want the car to handle as best as I can within my means. I have all the cool UMI, Strano, and Koni parts under the car now.

My question, would I be giving up much braking power by staying with the original plan and using the Baer kit? I have more room now that I'm running 18's for the larger 2010 camaro discs. I figure I can sell the Baers easily enough and the CTSV setup would be about the same cost to me in the end. I have to admit, I do prefer the look of the Brembo calipers, but they do come with a weight penalty with the larger rotors. Thoughts?
    You will eventually spread the rotors from the heat. I had the exact kit you have on my bird. From reading on frrax.com they will spread and fail eventually as you get faster and abuse them more. The cts-v 4 piston setup with 14" 5th gen rotors will far outlast and brake better according to my research. I will be going to the 4 piston v setup on my car as funds allow in prep for road race/autox

Also, look into the skf c5hd wheel bearing adapters, you're gonna be killing front hubs quick as well with any 200 tread wear or stickier tire, and these will far exceed oem strength, even timken replacement fbody hubs. Don't wanna lose a wheel at 120 in a turn

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SSlowBoat; 03-14-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

Lurker

Status
    Vehicle
    93 Bird

Solid info, thank you. I have been looking at the Hoosier hub kit, my hubs are good (for now) but I plan on buying the upgraded units once I start seeing some more wear in my current ones. I think I'm going to put my Baer track kit up for sale. It's a great setup for those wanting to run 17" wheels and it's literally brand new. But being that I already have the 18's I feel I should make use of ther extra room. Honestly, I don't think I will feel the extra power from the ctsv/gen 5 setup over the Baer 13" kit. But heat dissipation and long term reliability on the track is a potential issue. I forgot, I will be running brake ducts as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Batman For This Post:

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Solid info, thank you. I have been looking at the Hoosier hub kit, my hubs are good (for now) but I plan on buying the upgraded units once I start seeing some more wear in my current ones. I think I'm going to put my Baer track kit up for sale. It's a great setup for those wanting to run 17" wheels and it's literally brand new. But being that I already have the 18's I feel I should make use of ther extra room. Honestly, I don't think I will feel the extra power from the ctsv/gen 5 setup over the Baer 13" kit. But heat dissipation and long term reliability on the track is a potential issue. I forgot, I will be running brake ducts as well.
    I wouldn't do the Hoosier kit. Hoosier is going to stop making it soon according to a few because of the guys making the adapters for skf c5 hd hubs. It's cheaper for adapter and c5 hds than a pair of Hoosiers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!