Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
SSS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dies when warm

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 TransAm 385

Default Dies when warm

So I have an issue with my car I'm trying to track down, and it seems to be getting a little worse. The car will die about 10-15 minutes after cold start. I've spaced out the ICM, tried a new one, tried 2 different coils, fuel pressure is fine when cranking, it just wont start back up unless it sits for a long time, and when it does start back up it dies pretty quickly afterwards again. I tried data logging it the last time it did it, I didn't see any codes thrown or saved either. I'm tired of throwing parts at it, any suggestions?

Thanks!
    1995 TA M6 E85
    Power mods: AFR 210 Comp Eliminators, LE LT4 intake, Custom LE cam, 12.5:1 385ci, M29
    Suspension: Koni's, 600/175lb Ground Control, 36.5/21mm sway, Fays2 Watts Link, rod-ended everything, C5 brakes, etc.

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

I doubt it's fuel pressure. I had a crunked fuel pump that was barely putting out, and once I got past hard starting, other than a misfire above 3000 or so it ran fine essentially vacuuming fuel through the system. Stall/no start diags are tough when there's no indicators. Unless you're experiencing a complete loss of fuel pressure, it's going to either be PCM or Ignition related. Did you swap the ICM with a NEW store bought one or one from a working car? If you can grab one to try from a working car that would help rule it out. PCM could be experiencing a "cold solder joint" somewhere that as it warms goes open........or opti.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 TransAm 385

I know it's not the fuel pressure, it stays 40-43 with key on and when cranking when it dies and won't start. So it's something ignition related, I just can't track it down. ICM was replaced with a new store bought one, tried both a new stock store bought coil as well as an MSD coil. New plug wires, and 6 months ago installed a new store brand opti.
    1995 TA M6 E85
    Power mods: AFR 210 Comp Eliminators, LE LT4 intake, Custom LE cam, 12.5:1 385ci, M29
    Suspension: Koni's, 600/175lb Ground Control, 36.5/21mm sway, Fays2 Watts Link, rod-ended everything, C5 brakes, etc.

Xtreme Member

Status
    Name
    Shaun
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula
    Supporting Member

Get rid of msd coil, they are garbage, a stock coil is more than sufficent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2021 Charger Scat 392
    1994 Firebird Formula 381 stroker - Carrying the torch! - 9.90 @ 134.3mph on a 200 shot

The wrench/driver for LTConvert's 94 Z28- Ellwein 383/LE Trickflows/ D1SC / CPT Ultra Pro Race 4L60E
    10.78 @ 125mph. Shooting for 9.99 for Frank Cahall!

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

What data logger are you using?
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 TransAm 385

Quote Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
    What data logger are you using?
    I'm logging with EEHack.
    1995 TA M6 E85

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

OK, no experience w/ that at all.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Injuneer For This Post:

LTX Member

Status
    Vehicle
    1995 TransAm 385

Its a free scanner/programming software, it's the most extensive one I've seen for LT1's so far, lets you adjust a lot of variables while it's running too. I have Scan9495 I can log with as well.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

I don't personally need scan software, or tuning software. I use a tunable aftermarket engine management system with built-in diagnostics and continuous data logging. But I've been helping people with data logs on sites like this for 20 years, going back to the days of Diacom, pcmcomm, DataMaster, AutoTap, and my current preference Scan9495. I know with Scan9495 if you don't open and install all the downloaded files, it may not report codes. When that happens, one of our members, who wrote the program can help set it up. But I have no knowledge of potential issues with eeHack in that respect. Just asked to see if I could help with pulling codes.

LTX Member

Status
    Name
    Brian Rota
    Vehicle
    1995 firebird

Sorry to bring up an old thread but did you ever figure out the issue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast