Become a ltxtech.com member, Click here to register!
CPT

Default 97 TA Cluster Odometer

Looking for the schematic or pin out of where the odometer gets its power/ground from.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Lurker

Status

You're probably going to have a hard time finding that. I'm pretty sure the odometer is on a ribbon cable run directly to the cluster main board.
    1997 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 clone | Build Thread | - just needs paint!
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (the DD)

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

All the power to the instrument panel comes from the "GAGES" fuse (#9 on the 96, per the factory manual. We don't have a 97 manual, but should be similar). On the Firebird, the 12V power from fuse #9 is a pink wire attached to pin A1.

The part of the gauge cluster with the odometer is in Volume 2, part 2, page 8A-81-0. The pinouts/harness connector face is on page 8A-81-6.

Manual download:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

I think in 97, early in the model year, they may have made the switch form analog to digital odometer, so hopefully that won't affect anything.
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

See if these work:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    SOLD - GONE TO A (VERY) GOOD HOME ! - 94 Formula A3+1: 381ci forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / CC solid roller / TH400+GearVendors OD / 4.11 Strange 12-bolt / 300-shot N2O / Spohn Suspension / roll bar / MoTeC M48 Pro engine management system /a few other odds 'n ends.

The cluster itself has power and functions, just a blank screen for odometer. It's a digital version.

Swapped it into my 95 so want to make sure that I hooked up the odometer correctly

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by shownomercy View Post
    The cluster itself has power and functions, just a blank screen for odometer. It's a digital version.

Swapped it into my 95 so want to make sure that I hooked up the odometer correctly
    Should have been a direct swap. I had a 97 cluster in my 93 and there was zero mod necessary. Plug and play. If the odometer is blank odds are it's tango uniform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastbird View Post
    Should have been a direct swap. I had a 97 cluster in my 93 and there was zero mod necessary. Plug and play. If the odometer is blank odds are it's tango uniform.
    Um, had to depin cluster connector and repin for new plug. Not exactly plug and play

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shownomercy For This Post:

Long Live the Opti

Status
    Name
    Sean
    Vehicle
    1999 Twin Turbo Corvette

Ok, must be the Camaro vs Bird thing then. My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stout View Post
    I would try to work my neck muscles but I'm not invited to the LS guy parties.

LTx Guru

Status
    Name
    Fred
    Vehicle
    1994 Formula - SOLD

Checked the 98 cluster pinout and wiring diagram to see if there was any change due to the digital odometer. None that is meaningful.

PCM sends the 4,000 pulse per mile signal to Pin B12. B12 connects to a "solid state logic" chip. The chip feeds the odometer and the speedometer.

+12V is supplied to Pin A1. Pin A1 supplies 12V to the tach and speedo on the 98 diagram. There is no 12V connection to the "chip" for the speedo or tach. Only difference in 96 diagram is Pin A1 supplies 12V to the tach, speedo, tach solid state logic chip and speedo solid state logic chip. I suspect that is more of an oversight thing than an actual difference in the way the chip is wired.

The only way the speedo can work is if the feeds to the respective pins are OK, and the chip is OK. If the speedo is working, the odo should be working. The odometer is probably connected to the solid state logic chip by the printed circuit in the cluster. Could be broken circuit on the circuit board, sloppy soldering, or the driver in the odometer could be faulty.
    Last edited by Injuneer; 03-10-2017 at 01:10 PM.